Old Main was built in 1919 as the administration building for Arkansas’s first Normal School. It was designed by architect John Parks Almand and built by George Donaghey who had served as governor of Arkansas from 1909 to 1913. It currently houses classrooms, an advising center, offices, University College, and Ida Waldran Auditorium.
The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program announced February 11, 2011, that Old Main, formerly Main Hall, has been named to the National Register of Historic Places.
Ida Waldran Auditorium opened on May 23, 1937 and has become one of UCA’s most recognizable facilities on campus. Ida Waldran, located in Old Main, has been the host location of significant people and events including the opening ceremonies of the Women’s Army Corps Branch No. 3 in 1943, a vocal concert by President Truman’s daughter, Margaret, and presentations by TV journalists Peter Jennings and Sam Donaldson as well as Presidents Ford and Clinton.