Social Security Number

International students are eligible for a social security number if they have been given a job offer with a start date within 30 days or you have been approved for Optional Practical Training. There are no exceptions to this regulation. Due to COVID international students must request an appointment with a international engagement staff member to assist with the social security application process.

Applying for a Social Security Number

  1. Request an appointment through Appointy on the International Engagement website to meet with a staff member. Please bring a copy of your signed job offer letter to the Office of International Engagement appointment.
  2. The Office of International Engagement will give you a letter stating that you are eligible for a social security number.
  3. After meeting with a staff member, you will be scheduled for an appointment with the Social Security Office. Take the two letters, along with your passport, visa, I-20 and I-94 to the Social Security Office off Farris Road located at 2475 Christina Lane.
  4. Your Social Security Number will be mailed to you within 10-14 days.
  5. UCA employment regulations require that you have a Social Security Number before you start working.

Don’t have a job offer? Learn How to Find Available Jobs.