Students Receiving a 1042-S Form

I Received a U.S. Scholarship That Was Worth More Than Tuition While In the United States Last Year

The IRS considers any scholarship funding that pays for more than a student’s tuition and fees to be income. This amount is then taxed 14%. Students who have paid a scholarship tax will need to file both an 8843 Form and a 1040-NR Form. Both forms are due by the tax day deadline.

Students whose scholarship has been taxed will receive a 1042-S form from the school which issued them the scholarship, usually during the February after the year when the scholarship was rewarded. At UCA these forms are distributed by the Office of Student Accounts.

You will need to use the 1042-S Form, along with your passport, visa, I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94 to complete the 8843 and 1040-NR forms and file your taxes. You are strongly encouraged to complete these forms. In addition to the possibility of receiving a tax refund, failure to file a tax return may make it difficult to receive future visas to the United States.

Please make sure to use the Sprintax Prep Software to complete your tax return. Instructions on using Sprintax can be found here. Center for Global Learning and Engagement will offer a number of workshops between Spring Break and the tax due date for students who need help completing the form. The exact time, date, and location of these workshops will be emailed out to students in February or March.

If you have any further questions regarding your tax responsibility, please contact the student services coordinator.

Note: If you also received an income from paid employment and received a W-2 from your employer, you will also need to use the W-2 form to complete your tax return with Sprintax. For more information on the W-2 form, go here.

What if I do not have a Social Security Number?

All students who received income through employment will have a Social Security Number (SSN). However, if you did not receive income through employment, but you did still pay a scholarship tax and receive a 1042-S, you will not have an SSN and you will not be eligible for one. You will need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you do not have an ITIN number for the current tax season, you will apply for an ITIN along with your tax return. You will not be able to receive your tax refund unless you have an ITIN or SSN.

Applying For an ITIN

To apply for an ITIN, students should make an appointment with the student services coordinator. The coordinator will help them fill out a W-7 Form. Students will also need their 1042-S form, which they will receive from the Office of Student Accounts.

Note: You do not need an ITIN if you have a Social Security Number.