Students Not Reporting Income

I Did Not Work or Receive a Scholarship Covering More Than My Tuition While In the United States Last Year

If you did not receive any income during the previous year, and you did not receive a scholarship which covered more than your tuition, you only need to file an 8843 Form.

You do not need a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) You will also not receive a tax refund, because you did not pay any income taxes during the previous year.

An 8843 form lets the IRS know that you did not receive any earned income during the year, you do not owe the United States government taxes, and the United States government does not owe you a tax refund. You are strongly encouraged to complete your tax return and file your taxes. Failure to do so may make it difficult for you to receive future visas to the United States.

Please make sure to use the Sprintax Prep Software to complete your tax return. You will need your passport, visa, I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94 to do so. Instructions on using Sprintax can be found here. Center for Global Learning and Engagement will offer a number of workshops between Spring Break and the tax due date for students who need help completing the form. The exact time, date, and location of these workshops will be emailed out to students in February or March.

If you have any further questions regarding your tax responsibility, please contact the student services coordinator.