Students Receiving a W-2

I Received U.S. Income Through Employment While In the United States Last Year.

If you received income during the previous year you will need to file both an 8843 Form and a 1040-NR Form. Both forms are due by the tax day deadline.

You should have received a W-2 Form each employer you received income from during the previous year. You will need to use all W-2s you have may received as well as your passport, visa, I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94 to complete your tax return.

You are strongly encouraged to complete the 8843 and 1040-NR forms and file your taxes. In addition to the possibility of receiving a tax refund, failure to file a tax return may make it difficult to receive future visas to the United States.

Please make sure to use the Sprintax Prep Software to complete your tax return. Instructions on using Sprintax can be found here. Center for Global Learning and Engagement will offer a number of workshops between Spring Break and the tax due date for students who need help completing the form. The exact time, date, and location of these workshops will be emailed out to students in February or March.

If you have any further questions regarding your tax responsibility, please contact the student services coordinator.

Note: If you also received a scholarship that paid more than your tuition and fees, and you received a 1042-S Form from the university, you will also need to use the 1042-S Form to complete your tax return with Sprintax. For more information on the 1042-S form, go here.