UCA International Student Attends Presidential Inauguration

On January 20, 2013, 15 students from University Of Central Arkansas were selected to represent UCA in Washington DC in Obama’s inauguration, including Rwandan student, Allie Elyahb. Here is what he wrote about the experience:
The trip from Little Rock to Washington DC was so long from 6:00pm to 6:00 pm the next day, almost 24 hours. I was so excited to be in this nation’s Capital, Washington DC. Everything there is absolutely different from what is here in Conway. From buildings, monuments to the streets; everything is unique and historical. I was thrilled to see Government buildings everywhere.  Getting into Washington and see the Washington Monument, the Pentagon and Capitol Hill was the best time in my life because I saw them face to face instead of seeing them on TV.
The next day was the public inauguration which was more amazing because we got to see President Obama, Carter, and Clinton face to face and other government officials that I used to see on TV, read about in books or movies. I was so flattered to see all of them in person, which was actually one of the goals of the trip. But even though it was beautifully thrilling, the traffic was so heavy it was impossible to even cross the street.
After the inauguration, we headed back to the hotel where we were staying, getting ready also for King/Obama Celebration Ball which was a once in lifetime opportunity. We enjoyed talking to various important officials where I also enjoyed conversing with Senator Mark Pryor. How cool was that! We danced and enjoyed the inaugural ball! Then after that, we headed back to Arkansas where we drove for more than 23 hours.
Summing it up, the entire trip to Washington DC was so amazing and very educational, I learned that USA is a country that operates under a constitution which is the supreme law of the land, I also learned that their congress is bicameral which means that there are senators and house of representatives who are in charge of making laws and also the judicial branch in charge of protecting the constitution. I learned that without democracy, there is no hope for growing as a country and without freedom, there is no hope for the future. This trip will remain in me as part of the best experience I have ever had in my life and I will expand all the knowledge I earned from it to all the people around me. This was an amazing experience of my life.
–Allie Elyahb Kwizera