Buenos Aires and Montevideo. November 13th / 18th –
As part of the International Education Week, the Division of International Engagement of the University of Central Arkansas developed a series of events in Argentina and Uruguay. Director of International Engagement and Associate Provost, Jane Ann Williams, Associate Director of IE, Ashley Pettingill and Latin American Specialist, Lara Bersano Calot, were joined by Executive Assistant to President Courtway, Senator Gilbert Baker, in a series of visits and working sessions with partner Universities and institutions in Buenos Aires.
Events and meetings during this week were as follows:
- Senator Baker met Dean Hector Sauret, head of the Council of Deans of Private Universities of Argentina. They spoke about the opportunity of developing a series of events to discuss the challenges of higher education in the region and the relation between Argentina and the USA.
- Senator Baker, Jane Ann Williams and Ashley Pettingill met Robert Duff, head of Northlands High School.
- Senator Baker and Dean Marcelo de Vicenzi, signed a specific agreement to promote student exchange and IEP programs between communities.
- Education USA Argentina and the US Embassy in Buenos Aires, organized a series of talks in which Senator Baker and Jane Ann Williams described the opportunities, graduate and postgraduate programs available at UCA.
- Pro Secretary of Uruguayan Congress Tabaré Hackenbruch, met with Jane Ann Williams, Ashley Pettingill and Lara Bersano to talk about “Leaders of the Americas” the comprehensive leaders’ professional program that UCA will develop in 2014.
- The Dean of the Business School and President of University de la Empresa, Montevideo, Uruguay, signed an MOU to start working on various international programs with UCA.
- Rep Cristian Ritondo and Senator Baker signed an agreement by which the Legislature of the City of Buenos Aires, which houses the 90 representatives of the city, will work with UCA on educational programs.
- Senator Baker was a lecturer in bilingual high schools of Argentina where he answered questions from students interested in studying abroad.
These events were organized by the Office of International Engagement with the goal of strengthening our ties with Latin America in an effort to promote UCA’s core mission and vision of Academic Vitality, Integrity, and Diversity.
(1) Cristian Ritondo, Vice President of Buenos Aires Legslature together with Senator Gilbert during agreement signing.
(2) Jane Ann Williams and Dean of University de la Empresa in Uruguay during MOU signing.
(3) In the park of Northlands School together with Dean Pablo Aldazabal.
(4) At the official ceremony of Presentation of UCA delegation at the Legislature of the City of Buenos Aires, Golden Room. First from left, Representative Victoria Gorleri, head of the education comission of the Legislature, Dr Gilbert, Carolina Barone Director of International Relations and Ashley Pettingill Associate Director of UCA International Engagement