All students receive assistance of a faculty advisor. First-year freshmen music majors with less than 30 completed credit-hours will receive advising from an assigned advisor in the Academic Advising Center in Harrin 100. Declared music majors who have completed 30+ credit-hours will receive advising from Ms. Carrie Martens, Music Advisor. Even though music majors are not advisees of Ms. Martens until their second year, all undergraduate music majors are welcome and encouraged to refer to her for assistance.

Ms. Carrie Martens
SFA Room 208





Scheduling an Appointment

To schedule an appointment during the summer, please email Ms. Martens ( and provide the following information.

  • a brief description of the reason for your appointment
  • days and times you are available and would like to schedule an appointment


If you are a current student and are experiencing issues registering for a MUSIC course, please email me and provide the following information.

  • a brief description of the registration issue you encountered
  • the CRN for the course/section you need to be registered for
  • your UCA ID#

Music Advising Resources

The Music Major Advising Center, SFA 208, houses advising resources and physical copies of the forms and documents located on this page. SFA 208 will always be open and accessible for music majors and minors any time the building is open.

Download and/or print a UCA Blank Class Schedule for your own use.

Click here to access forms for add/drop, late add, overload request, grade forgiveness, etc.

Students auditioning for the BM Performance degree track must audition and be admitted to this specific track. Contact your applied instructor for more information. Present this Bachelor of Music Performance Track Application during your audition.

Learn more about the Upper Division Qualifying Assessment (UDQA) for music majors.

Refer to the UCA Academic Calendar for important dates and deadlines.

Find and review the Academic Map for your degree/concentration.


Creating Your Personal Degree Plan

Before your advising appointment during your fourth semester of music study, you must complete a personal degree plan that outlines a semester-by-semester plan for successfully completing all remaining degree requirements. You will review your plan with Ms. Martens during your academic advising appointment. Carefully read and follow the instructions on the first page of the document to edit, save, and share your personal degree plan. Please note that your individual advising check sheet (emailed to you as a PDF following your advising appointment) as well as the Academic Map for your degree concentration are helpful resources for completing your Personal Degree Plan. 

Personal Degree Plan Template


Important Reminders for Music Majors

DO NOT enroll in a degree-required course if you did not earn a passing grade in one or more of its prerequisite courses.  For example, do not register and enroll in Music History I if you earned an “F” in Introduction to Music Literature. For music education majors, a “C” or better is required for all pedagogy, technology, professional education, and internship courses. For example, music education majors who earn a “D” in MUS 3305 Elementary Methods should not enroll in MUS 3304 Secondary Methods in Instrumental Music Education or MUS 3306 Secondary Methods in Choral Music Education.

Beginning with your fifth semester of music study, always register for 4000-level applied lessons and ALL ensembles.


Music Degree Check Sheets

Below you will find a 2018-2019 advising check sheet for each music degree/concentration currently offered at the University of Central Arkansas. Please note that an advising check sheet is an advising tool. Students should refer to and be familiar with their specific degree requirements and university academic policies stated in the Undergraduate Bulletin, particularly the UCA Core including Lower-Division Core Requirements as well as Upper-Division Core Requirements.

Bachelor of Music, Music Education Concentrations:

Music Education-Woodwind     Music Education-Brass    Music Education-Percussion     Music Education-Strings

Music Education-Piano Instrumental     Music Education-Piano Vocal      Music Education-Vocal

Bachelor of Music, Performance Concentrations:

Performance-Instrumental    Performance-Piano     Performance-Vocal

Bachelor of Music, Composition Concentration:


Bachelor of Arts in Music and Music Minor:

Bachelor of Arts in Music    Minor in Music


Applying for Graduation

Undergraduate music majors should apply for graduation no later than three semesters/terms prior to your anticipated graduation term. The purpose of the graduation application is to verify and document all of your remaining graduation requirements to ensure they can successfully be completed prior to your proposed graduation term.

Click here to apply for graduation.

Once you apply, Ms. Martens will complete the application and contact you when it is ready to review. Once you have reviewed and signed your completed application with Ms. Martens, it will be sent to the UCA Registrar for review. You should then receive notification from the registrar’s office on the status of your application.


Helpful Links

 Academic Advising Center

Academic Calendar

Center for Writing and Communication 

CLEP- College Level Examination Program

Counseling Center

Disability Resource Center

Financial Aid

Office of Candidate Services (Teacher Education Program Admission)

Office of Diversity and Community 

Office of Student Success

Order an Official Transcript

Registrar Forms

Student Accounts

Tutoring Services