International Admission


Welcome to the UCA Department of Music. International students are an important part of our program and our community.
We want to help you with your the application process. Please scroll down for application instructions, frequently asked questions,
program information, and important links, and let us know if we can help.







Available Programs

Bachelor’s of Music: (programs available in violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, percussion, piano, voice, composition, piano pedagogy, jazz and studio music, and music education)


Graduate Certificate: (programs available in violin, viola, cello, bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, percussion, piano, voice, and conducting)

  • Typically a year long (two semester) program
  • Requires a bachelor’s degree in music or equivalent
  • Requires proof of proficiency (TOEFL of 71 or other test equivalent)


Master’s Degree: (programs available in violin, viola, cello, bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, percussion, piano, voice, theory, music education, and conducting)

  • Typically a two-year long (four semester) program
  • Requires a bachelor’s degree in any field and proof of significant musical training
  • Requires proof of proficiency (TOEFL of 79 or other test equivalent)

When to Apply

The earlier you apply and audition, the more likely that scholarship funds will be available!
Both the graduate and undergraduate music applications allow you to submit your recorded audition materials.  The application’s “Submit” or “Save” option will automatically alert specific area faculty members and will give you contact information for setting up a live audition if desired.
  • January 28 – 1st Deadline for Department Review of Music Application
  • February 12 – 2nd Deadline for Department Review of Music Application
  • February 26 – 3rd Deadline for Department Review of Music Application
  • March 11 – FINAL DEADLINE for Scholarship Consideration 
  • April 9 – Final Deadline for Department Review of Music Application 
  • April 15 – NASM Binding Date for Graduate Students
  • May 1 – NASM Binding Date for Undergraduate Students

How to Apply

Step 1: Undergraduate applicants should submit the Music Department Application. [The music department accepts applications year-round. However, for priority scholarship consideration, we recommend you submit your UCA Music Department Application and audition by December for Fall (August) admission.

Graduate students (both MM and GC) should begin with Graduate Admissions.

For more information regarding audition dates for scholarship consideration, click here.

  • An audition is required for admission to the Department of Music, as well as scholarship consideration. *Please note that you only need to audition once for both admission and scholarship consideration.* Although a live audition is acceptable, we recommend submitting a recorded audition with your Music Department Application. Please upload your audition video as an unlisted YouTube video and share the link in your application.

Step 2: You will receive an email from the Department of Music with your admission results approximately one month after applying and auditioning. Scholarship information will be sent out starting on March 1st. If you receive a scholarship, please follow the instructions on the attached email to properly accept the award.

Step 3: Undergraduate students only will need to complete an Undergraduate International Application[Click here for information regarding deadlines for the international application process]

Additional Application Information

As part of your Undergraduate International Application mentioned in Step 3, you will need to include the following materials with your application (see UCA Center for Global Learning and Engagement for more information):

Proof of English Language Proficiency

  • If you do not have a qualifying test score (such as a TOEFL score) you must apply as an Intensive English Program (IEP)/Undergraduate student
  • If you come to UCA without a qualifying English test score, you will be given an English test when you arrive at UCA: if you pass all sections, you can skip the IEP; but if you don’t pass, you must enroll in the IEP.
  • IEP Students will pay more in tuition, need to show proof of more money in their Financial Support document, and will take longer to graduate. IEP Students are not allowed to register for most music classes until they complete the IEP. Because of these challenges, we suggest you do your best to study and acquire a passing test score BEFORE coming to UCA.

Proof of Financial Support (Please Note: Music scholarships can be used to help fulfill this requirement.)

  • NOTE: Music scholarships can be used to help fulfill this requirement. For example: If you must prove $20,000 and you have a scholarship for $5,000 you only need to show proof of $15,000. UCA Music will notify International Admissions about your scholarship automatically.

Academic Records

  • Undergraduate and IEP/Undergraduate applicants: High school transcript and diploma in English.
  • Transfer students: International Education Evaluation (IEE) needed. Please click here for more information.
  • Post-Baccalaureate, Graduate Certificate, and Master of Music applicants need to obtain the International Education Evaluation (IEE). Please click here for more information. East China Normal University graduates do not need to go through IEE.

Copy of the Biographical Page (name, photo, number, etc.) of your Passport.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I study at UCA without being fluent in English?

Yes! UCA has an excellent Intensive English Program (IEP). Students are tested when they arrive and only take the courses they need in order to meet the admission standards. Once they finish the IEP courses they are qualified for study at the bachelor’s or graduate certificate level. For more information on the Intensive English Program please click here.

How much does it cost to attend UCA and live in Conway as an international student?

Please reference the International Guidebook for information about cost of living/attendance, as well as other useful information for prospective international students.

Are there scholarship and/or assistantships available for international students?

Yes, international students are eligible to compete for all UCA music scholarship and assistantship funding. The department enjoys endowments and private scholarship funds of approximately $1.5 million, annual university performance scholarships of over $700,000. Once you have received your scholarship, that will be subtracted from your tuition total.

Are there opportunities to earn money through music jobs, such as gigs and teaching?

Yes. The Department of Music frequently hires institutional student workers to work Front/Back of House during recitals, run the recording studio, assist ensemble directors, etc.


For more information regarding employment opportunities for international students, click here.

Are there minimum or maximum age requirements?

There are no minimum age requirements for admission (the only restriction is that you will not have access to the student gymnasium – the HPER center – until you are 18). If you are under 21 you are required to live in UCA student housing for 2 semesters.

What about housing and food?

UCA students can choose to live in a dormitory, a university managed apartment. Many students also choose to rent their own housing, and there are countless options close to campus. If you choose to live off campus, you will have to pay for out of state tuition. If you are under 21 years old, you are required to live in UCA student housing for 2 semesters. This will cost more than living in private housing. UCA has a cafeteria and food court available on campus. There are also grocery stores nearby for those who choose to cook at home, several within two kilometers or less.

There are a number of exceptions to the University Housing rules for Freshman. To see if you meet any of the exceptions, click here.

If I play a large instrument does UCA have instruments for me to use while I am there?

Yes, UCA has a number of university owned instruments available for student use. Please contact your professor for more information on availability and checkout procedure.

Do I have to audition in person?

No, the music department also accepts pre-recorded, unedited video links in place of an in-person audition.

What classes will I have to take?

Depending on the program, you will be taking lessons in your area, participating in ensembles, attending recitals, and studying music history and theory. For more information on required courses, please visit the academic maps website here. Click on the Academic Year tab to select the year you plan on attending.

Can I transfer credits from other schools?

Yes! UCA has a process for evaluating and awarding credits. If you have previously attended a university, you must apply as a transfer student and submit an official transcript and credential evaluation.

Important International Office Links

Center for Global Learning and Engagement
Global Welcome
Pre-Arrival Checklist
Important Forms and Information