The University of Central Arkansas Department of Music is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
The UCA Music Department also offers an academic minor in music, which is intended for students with background, talent, and interest in music. Students will be accepted into the program with completion of an interview with the coordinator of undergraduate studies in music or the department chairperson. Students must complete a UCA Major/Minor form declaring music as a minor.
For more information go to the Undergraduate Bulletin. [3.2.2]
DEPARTMENTAL UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
ADMISSION FROM HIGH SCHOOL
• Submit all general materials to the UCA admissions office.
• After matriculation, submit music application to Department of Music (forms available from music office, SFA 103).
• Audition in the principal applied area. A satisfactory audition is essential to determine acceptability to the department. No student is allowed to declare any major in music without this audition.
• Audition for placement in piano. Piano proficiency is not required for admission. All students will be placed in an appropriate level of piano instruction. Time and date of placement tests will be sent to all students who pre-register.
• Complete the Basic Musicianship Evaluation, a brief test of rudimentary music skills. Both the audition and the Basic Musicianship Evaluation are vital in the screening process; it is desirable that these take place on campus. This will permit personal interviews and opportunities for applicants to meet students and faculty and to familiarize themselves directly with UCA.
ADMISSION AS A TRANSFER FROM ANOTHER COLLEGE
• Same as admission from high school.
• Examinations in theory and music literature/history are required for placement or verification of transfer credits in music courses.
DEPARTMENTAL GRADUATE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the Graduate School admission requirements, a satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) is required within one semester of matriculation at the latest.
All graduate students must also achieve a satisfactory score on the theory diagnostic examination held immediately before classes begin.
For performance and conducting areas: An audition with area faculty is required. Performance in the area of specialization is to reflect the basic proficiency of a college undergraduate.
For conducting and pedagogy areas: A taped performance of the applicant’s ensemble is required.
- For more information on auditions, please click here.
If you would like to support our department and programs click here for more information.