Student Support Guide

Academic Support


Advisors work with students to determine their academic goals and develop a plan of study that follows the Academic Map (AMAP) for a student’s chosen major. First-year and sophomore students are primarily advised by professional advisors in the Academic Advising Center (AAC). Student-athletes work with advisors in Athletic Academic Advising. Juniors and seniors are assigned to faculty advisors in their major department.

How do I find out who my advisor is? Go to myUCA, log in, select DegreeWorks.

How do I contact my advisor? Many advisors can be contacted and accept appointments through GradesFirst (myUCA, GradesFirst). If not, use their UCA email address.

Harrin Hall 100 | M-F 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
(501) 450-5149 |
Facebook – ucaadvising

Athletic Advising
Bernard Hall 003
(501) 852-2506 |
Facebook – advisingbears.uca


The Center for Writing and Communication (CWC) can guide you through the composing process for any writing or communication project or presentation, for any class, at any stage of the process.

How do I make an appointment with the CWC? Appointments must be made online, over the phone, or in person.

Thompson Hall 109 | M-F 8 am – 4:30 pm, S-Th 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
(501) 450-5123 | |
Facebook – ucacwc


DegreeWorks is a “comprehensive academic advising, transfer articulation, and degree audit” program that can help you manage your time to degree. It allows you to plan your class schedule according to needed degree and institutional requirements, and monitor your academic progress.  DegreeWorks can be located through myUCA.

How do I know which degree requirements I have met?  Check your DegreeWorks account through myUCA!


Student Transitions courses and faculty assist students in making a successful transition to college academic life. The department offers co-requisite developmental courses in math, reading and writing, pairing a developmental course with a college-level course. The department also houses the First-Year Seminar, Journeys to Success (ACAD 1300) course.

Old Main 10
(501) 450-3220 |


The Disability Resource Center (DRC) works with students, faculty and staff to create an accessible and inclusive environment so all our students have full access to UCA classrooms, programs, and events, and can maximize their college experience.  Services include identifying academic and residential accommodations.

How do I request accommodations? Students wishing to utilize DRC services should register online as soon as possible.

Student Health Center 212
(501) 450-3613 |


First-Year Seminar courses are designed to help new students succeed at UCA. These courses fulfill a specific Core area requirement, and emphasize written and oral communication skills.


Students may use this campus-wide system to schedule appointments and communicate with advisors, peer coaches, tutors, and faculty.  GradesFirst also tells you when an academic alert has been issued for you by a professor.

How do I get to GradesFirst? Log in to myUCA and select GradesFirst


The IT (Information Technology) Help Desk can answer questions and recommend solutions for technical problems you may have.   UCA IT also offers the Microsoft Office Suite free to students.  Stop by the IT Help Desk in Burdick Hall.

Where do I get help using Blackboard?  Get answers to your questions about Blackboard online at or visit Tutoring Services in Torreyson 223.

(501) 450-3107 |


UCA’s Living and Learning Community program includes five Residential Colleges (Stars, Biz, EDGE, HPaW, STEM), the Honors College, and the University Scholars Program.  A learning community for commuter students is provided through the Minton Commuter College in Old Main Hall. Learning communities provide students an environment for integrating learning into daily life through small classes (some in our residence halls!), academic programming, and on-site faculty and peer mentors.

Why should I participate in a learning community?  Human beings learn best when we integrate education into our daily life.  Learning communities help you connect with other learners, integrate ideas into experiences outside the classroom, and are usually fun!

Office of Learning Communities
Old Main 104

Honors College Office
McAlister 306


Torreyson Library provides individual study carrels, a computer lab, laptops and engineering calculators for use in the library, networked printers, copiers, scanners, and group study rooms. Torreyson is open 24/5 during the week, with weekend hours on Saturday and Sunday. The library’s collection includes almost one million titles in a variety of physical and electronic formats. Interlibrary loan services give you access to resources in other collections.

Who can help me with research for my classes? Research Coaches are available in Torreyson Library to help students with projects.

(501) 450-5224 |
Twitter – UCA_Library | Facebook – UCATorreysonLibrary


The Office of Student Success (OSS) staff and faculty support and empower students to achieve their academic goals through the following programs and services:

The Academic Recovery Program assists students in raising their academic standing and improving their academic skills.  Students not on good academic standing are contacted each semester about participation.

Academic Success Workshops are offered each semester on topics such as time management, test-anxiety, note-taking skills and communication skills. Online workshops are also available through the OSS website.

FirstGen@UCA raises awareness of the challenges faced by first-generation college students and promotes resources available to first-generation students.

Skyfactor Benchworks is an online assessment students complete to evaluate their transition to college and identify campus resources to improve their overall experience.

Success Coaching is available in first-year residence halls, the Honors College, and in Old Main 106. Peer success coaches assist with study strategies, time management, and other academic skills.

Summer Start bridge programs provide incoming first-year students opportunities to begin their college careers early through summer classes and programs. Start Early, Start Right!

Supplemental Instruction (SI) is an academic assistance program that utilizes regularly scheduled, informal review sessions in which students compare notes, discuss readings and predict test items. Available in BIOL 1440, CHEM 1402, ACCT 2310 and PSYC 1300.

Tutoring Services offers free centralized peer tutoring for UCA Core courses and most upper-level math and science courses.  Appointments through GradesFirst and walk-ins are welcomed.  Tutoring Services is located in Torreyson 223.

The UCAN Program (“Unlocking College Academics Now”) provides students on first academic suspension the opportunity to continue their enrollment while engaging in workshops and small group sessions.

Office of Student Success
Old Main, Suite 104
(501) 450-3125 |
Facebook – UCAStudentSuccess | Instagram – ucastudent_success


The Registrar maintains student academic files, the Academic Calendar, FERPA waivers, schedule of classes, final exam schedules, transcripts, and applications for graduation.

How do I apply for graduation? See guidelines for applying for graduation on the Registrar website.

Harrin Hall 224 | M-F 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
450-5200 |


Service-learning courses are offered across the curriculum and allow students to complete a community service project connected with the academic curriculum and are designated with a “service-learning” attribute. Students interested in community engagement and service can also volunteer independently or with a group with one of our community partners, on the Big Event day of service in March, or on a Bear Boots on the Ground alternative break experience. Students who log service-learning and volunteer hours are eligible for recognition such as the Bears Serve Challenge (logging 30-plus hours in a year) and the community service graduation cord (logging 100-plus hours by graduation).

How can I volunteer through UCA?  Check CubConnect for a calendar of volunteer events, or see the list of Community Partners for information about current needs for volunteers in our community. Or email if you need help connecting with an organization or finding a project.

(501) 852-7416 | |


Studying abroad is one of the most challenging and rewarding adventures you can experience during your college career!  UCA offers study abroad trips for a semester or a few weeks. Stop by the Study Abroad office in the library and see what might work for you.

Torreyson Library 109
(501) 450-3646 | |
Twitter – UCA_StudyAbroad


UCA offers free centralized peer tutoring for all Core courses and most upper-level math and science courses through the Tutoring Services Center. (Appointments and walk-ins are welcomed.) The Center also offers online tutoring, as well as printing, treadmill desks, and computer and laptops for individual study.

Torreyson Library 223 | 501-852-0720 |
M-Th 9:00 am – 9:00 pm | F 9:00 am – 2:00 pm | Sat 10:00 am – 2:00 pm | Sun 2:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Facebook – ucatutoring

Some departments also provide free tutoring services.   See:


The UCA Bookstore provides textbooks and UCA gear.  Textbook rentals are an affordable option for students through the Bookstore, which is located in the UCA Student Center.

What do I do if I can’t afford textbooks? The Student Support and Resource Center at UCA has emergency funding available to help you! Apply online at
Facebook – ucabookstore

College Experiences


The Center for Leadership Development (CLD) offers students opportunities for comprehensive leadership development through workshops, presentations, self-guided resources, and student leadership teams.

How do I improve my leadership skills? Attend one of our Bear Talks or register for one of our workshops!

Student Center Basement Room 011
Twitter – ucaleadership | Instagram – ucaleadership


The Office of Diversity and Community provides services to enhance the academic and personal success of students from underrepresented populations. These services include: the Minority Mentorship Program, the Black Male Achievement Challenge (B-MAC), the Latino/Hispanic Outreach, and PRISM Alliance. The office also houses the Academic Bridge Connection (ABC) Resource Center.

Bernard Hall 207
(501) 450-3135 |
Facebook – diversityandcommunity | Twitter – UCA_ODC | Instagram – uca_diversity


Living on campus will be one of the most rewarding experiences during your time at UCA. Not only does it give you advantages such as convenient access to campus facilities and comfortable living accommodations, but you also have a residence life staff that is here to help you.  If you have questions about your room, getting involved on campus, or just about anything else, ask your Resident Assistant (RA) or your Residence Coordinator (RC)!  First-year residence halls also have Peer Success Coaches available to help you with improving your study skills, time management, and other academic skills.

Bernard Hall Suite 201
(501) 450-3132 |
Facebook – UCAHousing | Twitter – UCAHousing | Instagram – UCAHousing


The University of Central Arkansas Division of International Engagement coordinates all university international activities and programs. To prepare students to work and live in the diverse global communities of the 21st century, our office creates a supportive and diverse community on campus and across central Arkansas through cultural and educational programming. Working with UCA faculty and students, we offer programs that help students become leaders, global citizens, and lifelong learners.

Student Center 207 |
Facebook – UCAinternational | Twitter – UCAIE | Instagram – ucaie


The Student Government Association (SGA) is the primary representative voice for UCA students. SGA formulates policies and allocates student activity fees to student organizations and university departments. SGA also works closely with administration on issues that directly affect UCA students. |


Student Life provides opportunities for learning, leadership, community building, creative expression, volunteerism, mentoring and much more.

UCA offers more than 200 student organizations, clubs and recreational activities to help students engage in campus life, and become active members of the UCA community. Student organizations, including the student activities board host regular activities throughout the year, including guest lecturers, dances, comedy acts, concerts and novelty events.

How do I get involved in UCA organizations? See CubConnect on myUCA for more information on how you can become involved at UCA!

Student Center 207 |
Facebook – ucastudentlife | Twitter – ucastudentlife | Instagram – ucastudentlife


The UCA Family Network is designed to be a one-stop shop for information and programs for families of UCA Bears.  Be sure to share this information with them!
Facebook – UCAFamilies  Twitter – UCAFamilies



Career Services provides access to career planning and programs, presentations and information on employment opportunities including work-study and internships.


The Student Financial Aid Office assists students who have institutional, private, state, and federal assistance in the form of scholarships, grants, work-study and loans.

How do I see my Financial Aid Counselor?  Financial Aid is open 8:00am-4:30pm M-F.  Walk-in appointments are welcomed.

Harrin Hall 200 | (501) 450-3140 |


Information on institutional, state, and private scholarship awards can be found on the Financial Aid website. The UCA Foundation also offers privately-funded scholarships.

How do I find scholarships? Other scholarship opportunities can be found by following Office of Student Financial Aid on Cub Connect!


This office assists students and families through the payment process for tuition and fees. See us online or in Bernard Hall for more information.

How do I pay my UCA bill? Pay online using CashNet through myUCA.

Bernard Hall 110 | (501) 450-5015 |
Twitter – UCAstudentaccts


This office assists students in locating emergency funding and other resources.  If you have an urgent need for funding, please call or email to set up an appointment.

What do I do if I can’t afford textbooks? The SSRC has emergency funding available to help you with textbooks, rent, car repairs or other emergencies. Apply online.

Student Health Center, Room 306 | M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
(501) 852-0704 |


If you need food or household supplies, the Food Pantry will help.  Anyone with a UCA ID (student, staff, faculty) is welcome.

Old Main 108 |
Facebook – UCAbearessentials


The University works with the Department of Veterans Affairs as well as other federal and state agencies to provided educational assistance to those who have served our country.

Harrin Hall 223 A/B |

Health & Wellness


The UCA Autism Advocacy program offers low-sensory registration days, a first-year seminar for students with neurodiversity, a low-sensory student lounge in Old Main Hall, and a student organization “SWAP,” which is a social group for those on the autism spectrum that meets twice a month.

Department of Student Transitions Old Main 10
(501) 450-3220 |


The Counseling Center provides mental health counseling and other counseling services for all currently enrolled UCA students.

What do I do if I’m too anxious or depressed to go to class?  The UCA Counselors are here to help you with anxiety, stress, depression, or test-anxiety.  Just make an appointment. We’re very helpful!

Student Health 327
(501) 450-3138 |
Twitter – UCACounseling


The HPER center offers a wide variety of healthy activities including group exercise classes, a pool, basketball courts, a running track, and racquetball courts. Free outdoor activity equipment, including canoes, tents, and hammocks, can be checked out through COPA, the Campus Outdoor Pursuits and Activities office.

Where can I have my personal bike repaired on campus? COPA offers basic bike tune-ups. They can also 1) change a flat tire; 2) change chain; 3) do cable adjustments; and 4) do a brake pad alignment or brake pad replacement.  You provide the parts.
Twitter – UCAHPER | Facebook – UCAHPERBears


Gender neutral bathrooms can be found across campus. For locations, visit:


The Student Health Clinic is staffed with a physician and four nurse practitioners to help diagnose, treat and monitor your health needs. Treatment of minor illnesses or injuries some chronic illnesses, allergy shots ordered by a private physician, blood pressure monitoring, crutch loan, education about a diagnosis, the women’s clinic, simple laceration repair, peak flow measurement, updrafts and pulmonary function tests are all provided to students free of charge.

What do I do if I’m sick or have a fever?  Make an appointment with Student Health online through their patient portal.  It’s easy!

Student Health Building | M-F 8 am-11:30 pm & 1:00 pm-4:15 pm
Go online or call for an appointment
(501) 450-3136 | |


Lactation Suites can be found across campus. For locations, visit


The UCA Low-Sensory Lounge in Old Main 28 is a dedicated space specially designed with a sensory-reduced atmosphere. The lounge serves as a safe space between classes and at any other time a break is needed for students who benefit from a reduced-noise and low-activity environment.

Old Main 28
M-F 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
(501) 450-3220


Individualized nutrition consultations are held in a private setting.
(501) 852-0185 | (501) 733-6854 cell


Student Wellness and Development offers a variety of educational events, initiatives, and campaigns on wellness topics throughout the year, including program kits and the Wellness Ambassador Program.


We believe a well-informed community is essential to achieving our goals. To that end, we have implemented numerous measures to ensure the safety of the UCA community and to provide timely warnings in case of an emergency.

How can I stay safe at UCA?  Be sure to download the Safe@UCA app onto your phone!

450-3111 | |
Twitter – UCAPoliceDept | Facebook – UCAPoliceDepartment