Applying for Federal Student Loans

In the interest of securing the best interest rates and repayment terms, you should first apply for federal loans.

Step 1:  Complete the FAFSA and list the UCA school code 001092.

Step 2:  The Financial Aid Office will determine your eligibility and will send you a notification of the amount for which you are eligible to your cub email account.

Step 3:  Review and accept the type and amount of loan for which you are interested on your myUCA portal. 

Once you have accepted one or more of the loans offered to you, the Financial Aid Office will submit your loan information to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for review and approval. At this time, UCA will begin to prepare the loan for disbursement based on the established term schedule. Once submitted, the information will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders and schools determined to be authorized users of the data system. You also have access to the NSLDS information through the website: You may use this portal to access information about your specific loans.

Step 4:  Complete Entrance Counseling. Entrance Counseling is required for all first-time borrowers and is completed on the federal student loan website. Completing Entrance Counseling ensures you understand the terms and repayment options of the loan.  Learn more on how to complete the Entrance Counseling

Step 5:  Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)/Loan Agreement.  The MPN is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education.  Learn more on how to complete the MPN/Loan Agreement

Step 6:  Students who have received a subsidized, unsubsidized or PLUS loan(s) under the Direct Loan Program or the FFEL Program, must complete Exit Counseling each time they drop below half-time enrollment, graduate, or leave school.  Completing Exit Counseling provides important information to prepare you to repay your federal student loan(s).  Learn more on how to complete the Exit Counseling.