Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I make an appointment for counseling?  To make an appointment, you will need to register by completing our online intake forms found here. Counselor’s meet twice a week to assign new clients. You will receive a call 3 – 4 business days from your assigned counselor to set up your intake appointment. Please see our emergency services page for information on what to do if you are in crisis.
  2. Where are you located? We are on the third floor in Suite 327 in the Student Health Building. When you get off the elevator on the third floor, turn left and our office is located at the end of the hall. If you are not familiar with how to get to the Student Health Building, click here for a map of the campus. The other location location is the Psychology and Counseling Clinic at 2290 Dave Ward Drive. Please click here for the map.
  3. What is the cost for counseling? There is no charge or fee for counseling. The expenses associated with counseling are paid through your tuition and university funding.
  4. Are the services confidential? Yes. We will not provide information about clients to friends, partners, faculty, parents, employers, or anyone else outside of the Counseling Center Staff. The Counseling Center will release information from counseling sessions to third parties only at the request of the client (with written permission from the client.) There are few exceptions: if a client poses a clear and present danger of harm to himself/herself and/or others, if there is reasonable cause to suspect child abuse or neglect, or if there is reasonable cause to suspect adult abuse or neglect.
  5. Is there a limit on the number of counseling sessions? Yes. The Counseling Center uses a brief counseling model, with a limit of 10 sessions of individual counseling, per client, in a one-year period. The intake session is not included in the 10 sessions. For those who want additional counseling, or require more intensive work, the Counseling Center will provide referral options that are available locally.
  6. Does anyone in the Counseling Center provide medication? The Counseling Center contracts with a psychiatrist to accommodate those who require medication. The psychiatrist will see students only upon referral from a Counseling Center staff member. In addition, the Counseling Center also makes  referrals to the Student Health Clinic, staffed by a physician and nurse practitioners who can prescribe medications.
  7. Does the Counseling Center do any evaluation or testing for Attention Deficit Disorder or Learning Disabilities?
    No. We keep a list of practitioners in our geographic area who provide such testing and make referrals to them for students who want to be evaluated for these conditions.
  8. Who do I contact regarding an ESA (Emotional Support Animal) on campus? You will need to contact the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS) at (501) 450-3613. They will answer any questions you have regarding ESAs on campus. You may also visit their website here for more information or click here to be directed to the Emotional Support Animal Request Form.