Parent and/or Guardian FAQs

What percentage of UCA students belong to fraternities or sororities?

Approximately ten (10) percent of undergraduate students at UCA are members of Greek organizations.

When can my son or daughter join a Greek organization?22964747654_bf280e9c35_m (1)

Most sororities and fraternities can be joined the first semester of your freshman year.  Please see eligibility requirements.

Currently, NPHC groups require potential members to complete 12 to 45 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average between 2.5 to 2.75  before they may join. See NPHC membership requirements.

If you have questions, contact the Office of Student Life at 501-450-3137, or visit us in Student Center Suite 207.

How will being a member of a Greek organization contribute to and/or hinder my son’s or daughter’s educational experience?

19882790172_016d6c4115_zMaking the decision to join a Greek organization is indeed an important one as it is a commitment for one’s entire college career. UCA strongly encourages parents to be involved in the decision making process.

Greek Life at UCA provides students with a variety of opportunities to be involved in their campus community. With approximately ten (10) percent of the campus population being Greek, these enthusiastic students plan philanthropy events, serve as student leaders in campus organizations, host social events, etc.

With this said, being a member of a fraternity or sorority does place demands on a student’s time. Our Greek organizations place a high emphasis on successful academics and in fact, the all Greek GPA is higher than the all-student GPA. “Pledging” or “associating” semesters are often the most demanding, but there is always room for flexibility. The key concept for parents to remember during this time: communication! UCA students, being very bright and respectful, are expected to communicate their difficulties to the professors, and it is really no different within a fraternity or sorority. If your son or daughter experiences being overextended or overwhelmed, encourage him to talk to the Fraternity or Sorority Educator or Chapter President. Once those difficulties have been communicated, the chapter will make every effort to assist their newest member(s).

 Do the Greek organizations have Houses?

Housing for the sororities is a mix of houses and chapter suites.  The Panhellenic sororities have university owned Greek Village houses on Augusta and Donaghey Avenues. These houses include 32 beds, a chapter meeting room, a full kitchen and living room area, as well as study room.  The NPHC sororities have large chapter meeting rooms in the NPHC Sorority Complex along College Avenue.

Three IFC fraternities have university owned Greek Village houses on Donaghey Avenue. These houses include 20 beds, a chapter meeting room, a full kitchen and living room, as well as a study room. One fraternity maintains a privately owned house adjacent to Greek Village and three fraternities lease smaller university owned properties around campus. Two other IFC fraternities do not currently have chapter houses and instead utilize meeting rooms on campus. The NPHC fraternities have large chapter meeting rooms in the NPHC Fraternity Complex along College Ave.


Who should we contact if we have questions or concerns about Greek Life at UCA?

UCA takes its commitment to individual Greek students as well as to Greek chapters very seriously. Your son or daughter may use the resources found within Student Affairs whenever needed. If at any time you would like more information about Greek Life or have questions about your son or daughter’s experience within the Greek community, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Student Life at 501-450-3137.

What is “hazing” and what can I do as a parent to educate myself about this issue?

UCA, the State of Arkansas, and our national fraternities and sororities have strict guidelines and policies to prevent hazing. UCA educates leaders and new members about how to prevent hazing. As a parent, keep an open line of communication with your child while they are at UCA. If at any time you have concerns about your child, please contact us. Please visit UCA’s Statement on Hazing for information.

How can I support Greek Life at UCA?

The best (and most fun) way to support UCA Greek Life is by attending on-campus and Homecoming events with your student.  If time does not permit to visit, then ask your son/daughter how you can help their particular group and/or the community in a different manner. Many parents have resources that will support the efforts of groups in a variety of ways. If you are having trouble coming up with an idea, then start by getting by offering to donate time and resources to the philanthropic events hosted by your child’s organization.

While college students may act like they want total independence, most welcome the support and involvement of parents in their college experience.