Art History Graduate Find Employment at MONAH

Viewpoint; View from the Field »
By Gayle Seymour, Associate Dean CAHSS | Professor of Art, Art History »

Lauren Fraser received her BA in Art/Art History emphasis in spring 2021. In this short interview with her, I asked her about finding a job after graduation and any tips she had for students.

Lauren Fraser (center) with two coworkers

Dr. Seymour: “How did you go about finding your current position at the Museum of Native American History in Bentonville?”

Lauren Fraser: “Starting in January of this year, I began to apply for different internships and jobs at museums before graduating and moving to Bentonville at the end of June. It wasn’t until late July that I came across the Museum of Native American History (MONAH) and found out that they were accepting applications for interns. Despite sending in my cover letter and résumé in the middle of the night, I got a swift response the next morning, inviting me to come in for an interview for their last intern opening. I started at the beginning of August and I must have made a good impression, for after just four days on the job, the director, Charlotte Buchanan-Yale, offered me a full-time position at the museum!”

Dr. Seymour: “What are your duties at the museum?”

Lauren Fraser: “As the MONAH is a smaller museum with only a handful of staff, no one works one specific position; however, currently I am focusing on the analytics, social media, and organization of their systems such as their library and online store. As a private museum, we rely on grants and donations, making the analytics such as tracking visitors and our media interactions crucial. I feel extremely fortunate to be where I am and with such a great and passionate group of people.”

Dr. Seymour: “What are your tips for students who are looking for jobs at museums?”

Lauren Fraser: “The journey here was quite stressful. After graduation, it felt as if there was a ‘deadline’ to find a job in order to be considered successful. While it might be cliché, the idea that everyone is on their own path and grows differently is something that should be kept in mind. Another piece of advice that I was given during my attempts to get even an internship was to consider volunteering at museums such as MONAH or Crystal Bridges. The importance of connections is what will ultimately get you a job in fields such as this where there is high competition. Volunteering—or in my case interning—gets you that first step in the door.”