Advice from Alumni: Jessica Chavez (BBA ’21)

Jessica Chavez
COB Degree Earned: Bachelors in Business Administration in Spring 2021
Current Career: Senior HR Generalist

What drew you to the business industry?
Growing up as a child of Mexican immigrants in the small town of Lonoke, AR was a unique experience on its own. As I watched my parents take manual labor jobs, I knew from an early age that my career simply couldn’t end after high school. My ambitions were further fueled after learning that they had given up their careers in Mexico to provide me with a better education here. The inspiration they radiate to me is indescribable. I knew my passions would lead me to the right path and right school.

Watching them come home every day with the emotional toll of the prejudice and barriers they faced every day, it was devastating, to say the least. There were days when my mom would come home in tears from the comments made towards her because of her broken English. It made me wonder how I could become part of that change and how could I make an impact to those in the workplace, especially in labor-intensive jobs. It really fed this passion of being able to make the workplace a safer and more desirable place for everyone.

Seeing as my passions involved the workplace and those that make up the workforce, an education in business fit those needs perfectly. I wanted to understand the challenges that arise in a working environment. The college of business was the right fit for me as it truly gave me the resources to not only understand business dynamics but also how to manage different personalities and cultures within those dynamics.

Give us some highlights of your experience in the business environment.
I have been in HR for about 3 years now with experience mainly in the manufacturing industry. In those years, I have led projects in benefits, recruitment, employee relations, etc. I most recently led and coordinated a UCA Instagram Takeover on behalf of Danfoss for the UCA Career page. I was able to showcase different features as a Danfoss employee such as our safety standards, benefits, and career advice. It was a new and innovative way to change how we recruit prospective employees. It led me to other opportunities within the company. I was brought in to help prepare and present training material as we integrated to a new payroll and timekeeping system.

Being in this role with Danfoss has connected me with different communities and purposes, such as the ASU Beebe Adult Education program. I have accepted the invitation to become a member of their advisory board and it has already been such a rewarding experience in knowing that I can make an impact on the workplace environments not only at Danfoss but in the community as well.

Applicable Awards, Achievements, & Accolades
I have had a list of achievements and recognition for the different projects I’ve been involved in. Here are a few achievements and where I completed them:

Dewafelbakkers (Food manufacturer) – Senior HR Specialist/Benefits Administrator

• I led two open enrollments within a 3-month period due to carrier changes. I presented the new carriers in both English and Spanish to the entire plant population.
  • I created and implemented a new safety policy and procedure for workplace accidents.
  • I handled the entire EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) project for all benefit carriers.

Danfoss (Hydraulic Manufacturer) – Senior HR Generalist

• I led the UCA Instagram takeover for the UCA Career page. I was recognized and asked to create a template for others who want to have a different approach to talent acquisition.
  • I prepared and presented training material for the implementation of a new payroll and timekeeping system for the entire North American region.
  • I supported another site in Shawnee, OK while we recruited a new HR manager for the facility. I spent 3 weeks there helping onboard the new HR manager while providing training to the people leaders.
  • I was invited to be a part of the ASU Beebe Adult Education Advisory Board because of the relationship I have developed with the staff and the dedicated hours I spent at various events for them.

Why was the UCA College of Business so valuable to you?
The courses that the College of Business provided were invaluable to me and my success in my career. Advanced organizational behaviors helped me explore the business dynamics and the challenging issues in an evolving work environment. Labor relations helped me learn the importance of balancing empathy while advocating for the company. Furthermore, the professors were very supportive and provided very real examples of how the real workforce works. It exposed me to situations like possible layoffs, performance management, and how to tackle retention. We had plenty of guest speakers come to different classes and share their journey from the classroom to the work field. It really motivated me to find my own path through networking with those already in my field.

Joining the HR club, I was able to create a relationship with Dr. Laci Lyons which was pivotal to my journey in pursuing HR courses. She was patient as I was always asking her questions about HR or volunteering for the HR convention in Hot Springs. That visit to L’Oreal and their HR team instilled that desire to focus on an HR career in the manufacturing industry.

The staff at the UCA Foundation also provided another sense of support as they were always friendly faces at different events. They included in me in one of their magazines and their media to highlight my story and how I received the Baxley Family Scholarship. They also invited me to the stage and ceremony of their $100 million campaign which inspired donors to give to those students pursuing education at UCA.

What tips or advice would you give to new, current, or prospective business students?
My biggest piece of advice would be to really pay attention to what truly makes you excited or passionate to learn about. Be open to changing paths through your journey. Consider the different majors and minors you could pursue as they could enhance or provide depth to the focus of your studies. Explore all the resources that UCA has to offer. The UCA Foundation scholarships changed my life when I was selected as a recipient of the Baxley Family Scholarship. Being a part of the HR club gave me the opportunity to visit the L’Oreal facility and further inspired me to seek an HR career in the manufacturing industry.

Keep up with Jessica’s success!