Earning UCA Credit Abroad

Students can earn credits abroad through three main types of programs offered by UCA: Faculty-Led, Language Immersion, and Exchange programs.

Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs
Paris group

UCA in Paris 2016: Grand Mosque in Paris.

UCA offers a variety of Faculty-Led Short Term Study Abroad programs. Spend part of your summer abroad while earning credits abroad with a UCA professor as the group’s guide! Program locations vary by year but have previously included destinations such as Italy, France, Rwanda, Brazil, and the United Kingdom.

If you are interested in this type of study abroad program, visit the Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs page for more information on specific locations and courses offered. Register by January 20th to secure your spot!

Program Requirements: To participate in a Faculty-Led Study Abroad course students should have completed 30 credit hours prior to program start date and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5.  Faculty approval is required for all faculty-led study abroad programs. Students must be in good standing with the university to travel abroad.

     Language Immersion Programs


Dinner in China

Language Immersion: Shanghai

UCA is dedicated to assisting students in their foreign language studies. Students who want to study Spanish in  San Jose, Costa Rica or Mandarin in Shanghai, China should visit the Office of Study Abroad to learn more, or speak with a faculty leader about these opportunities.  Visit the Languages, Linguistics, Literatures, and Cultures Department in Irby Hall Suite 207 in order to receive approval for participation.

Program Requirements: To participate in a language immersion programs students should have completed 30 credit hours prior to the program start date and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Approval by the Department of World Languages, Linguistics, Literatures and Cultures is required for all language immersion participants.

Semester Exchange

UCA has partner schools all over the world.  Students may apply to participate and then pay UCA tuition and fees while attending a partner university for one semester or one academic year. Semester Exchange Programs allow UCA students to enroll in courses abroad and study with students at the partner university.  Students are responsible for meeting the application requirements of the partner university, obtaining all necessary entry and exit documents and paying for room, board and travel. With exchange programs all over the world, UCA students are spending semesters in France, Spain, China, Germany, Thailand, England and many more! Make an appointment with the Office of Study Abroad at least 4 weeks into the beginning of the semester before you plan to go abroad in the following fall or spring as this is usually a six month or more planning process.

Program Requirements: To participate in an exchange program students should have completed 60 credit hours and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0.  Approval by the Office of Study Abroad, Department Chairs and our Partner University is required for all participants. Students participating in language courses at the partner university must have approval by the Languages, Linguistics, Literatures, and Cultures Department.

 Independent Study Abroad

Students can study abroad with programs that are not through UCA however the process of transferring credit is between the student, the department and the Office of the Registrar. Please see the Office of the Registrar for more information. http://uca.edu/registrar/transfer-student-guidelines/


Study Abroad Coordinator

Natalie Flemming, Study Abroad Coordinator

I am honored to be working in the Office of Study Abroad. I became passionate about study abroad in 2005 when I traveled to Rome, Italy. This was only an introduction to what has become a lifelong passion and interest in different cultures, food, philosophy and everything that makes the world an interesting place.


UCA partner school in Mons, Belgium.

I am happy to talk with you if you are considering studying abroad. This experience will change your life!


Where I have been:
  • Studied Italian in Rome, Italy, Summer 2005
  • Lived and worked abroad as a private English tutor and Au Pair in Northern Italy, Summer 2006
  • Interned with iei Media (Journalism) in Urbino, Italy, Summer 2009
  • Travel to UCA partner universities in Belgium and France, Summer 2016
  • Travel to EAIE 2016 conference in Liverpool, England.