Education Abroad Programs

Earn credits abroad through our four main types of programs offered by UCA: Faculty-Led, Language Immersion, Semester Exchange and Direct Enrollment programs.

Overview:  UCA offers a variety of Faculty-Led Short Term Education Abroad programs. Spend part of your summer abroad while earning credits abroad with a UCA professor as the group’s guide! Program locations vary by year but have previously included destinations such as Italy, France, Rwanda, Brazil, and the United Kingdom.

Program Requirements:  To participate in a Faculty-Led Education Abroad course students should have completed 30 credit hours prior to the program start date and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Faculty approval is required for all faculty-led education abroad programs. Students must be in good standing with the university to travel abroad.

Overview:  UCA is dedicated to assisting students in their foreign language studies. Students who want to study Spanish in San Jose, Costa Rica or Mandarin in Shanghai, China should visit the Office of Education Abroad to learn more or speak with a faculty leader about these opportunities. Visit the Languages, Linguistics, Literatures, and Cultures Department in Irby Hall Suite 207 in order to receive approval for participation.

Program Requirements:  To participate in a language immersion programs students should have completed 30 credit hours prior to the program start date and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Approval by the Department of World Languages, Linguistics, Literature and Cultures is required for all language immersion participants.

Overview:  UCA has partner schools all over the world. Students may apply to participate and then pay UCA tuition and fees while attending a partner university for one semester or one academic year. Semester Exchange Programs allow UCA students to enroll in courses abroad and study with students at the partner university. Students are responsible for meeting the application requirements of the partner university, obtaining all necessary entry and exit documents and paying for room, board and travel. With exchange programs all over the world, UCA students are spending semesters in France, Spain, China, Germany, Thailand, England and many more! Make an appointment with the Office of Education Abroad at least four weeks into the beginning of the semester before you plan to go abroad in the following fall or spring as this is usually a six month or more planning process.

Program Requirements:  To participate in an exchange program students should have completed 60 credit hours and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0. If a student’s GPA is below the 3.0 requirement, the student will be asked to submit a letter explaining any circumstances faced that may have contributed to the current cumulative GPA. The student will also be asked to submit a letter of recommendation from the department chair of the corresponding major. Approval by the Office of Education Abroad, department chairs and our partner university is required for all participants. Students participating in language courses at the partner university must have approval by the Languages, Linguistics, Literatures, and Cultures department.

Overview:  UCA students may apply to spend a semester abroad at a partner university under an approved direct enroll. Students participating in a UCA Direct Enroll will be enrolled in 12 to 15 credit hours of approved coursework while abroad. Students will pay tuition and fees at the partner university. The UCA Office of Education Abroad will assist students in this application process.  For more information on the types of financial aid available for this type of program, see the Office of Financial Aid. This link will also help answer financial assistance questions regarding direct enroll: Financial Aid Overview.

Program Requirements:  Students interested in spending a semester abroad should have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA with 60 credit hours completed by the beginning of the term abroad. Students considering studying abroad through direct enrollment should make an appointment with the Education Abroad Office in the first four weeks of the semester before participating in education abroad at a partner university. Our partners accept a limited number of students per academic year. UCA students should not contact partner universities but rather work with the Office of Education Abroad.

Students can education abroad with programs that are not through UCA, however, the process of transferring credit is between the student, the department and the Office of the Registrar. Please see the Office of the Registrar for more information.