Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know which Living Learning Community (LLC) is right for me?

The best way to decide which Living Learning Community is right for you is to consider what motivates you and which community aligns best with your passions and interests. All of our learning communities are delivered in partnership with UCA’s academic colleges and will enable you to take courses necessary for your major with other students right down the hall. This provides a way to connect and grow with students who have similar academic interests. You can view a list of which majors each community serves here. If you do not know your major yet or would like to be with other students still figuring out what matters to them, do not stress; both EDGE@Baridon and RISE@Arkansas make space for students to discover and serve their community and the world around them.

What are the benefits to being a part of a Living Learning Community?

Students who have participated in UCA’s learning communities in the past have had increased GPAs, increased retention rates, and report an easier adjustment to the academic demands of college. With an LLC,  you have the opportunity to network with students who share a similar academic interest and connect with faculty who will support you during your time at UCA.

Why does UCA support all students living in a Living Learning Community?

Research suggests that participation in an LLC leads to increased academic engagement and satisfaction with college experiences. At UCA, students who stayed in our original residential colleges were more likely to return to UCA the following year and made better academic progress.

Will a Living Learning Community narrow my UCA experience?

Not at all. UCA’s Living Learning Communities are built from the ground up to broaden your experience and connect you with campus resources from day one. Students can and have taken part in any Recognized Student Organizations on campus. Living Learning Community students are athletes, take part in Greek-life, and lead in student government.

What if I’m drawn to a community that doesn’t support my major?

Students may have a variety of motivations when selecting their residence hall and Living Learning Community; however, all students will be registered for a class in the LLC that matches their housing assignment, and will be asked to make the commitment to participate fully in the LLC programming in their hall. Students living in communities that align with their academic programs will have greater variety and opportunity for taking linked courses designed to meet their needs.

Do I need to live on campus to participate in a Living Learning Community?

Our learning communities our designed around where you live, even if you are not a residential student! Minton Commuter College (MCC@Old Main) is designed for students of any major who are not living on campus. Staying connected with campus life as a commuter student is uniquely challenging, and MCC@Old Main offers programming to connect commuter students with other students who are experiencing the same transition. MCC@Old Main serves as a comfortable landing pad for commuter students between classes and is designed to meet your needs.

Can I select my roommate in an LLC?

Yes, you will be able to provide a roommate preference in your housing application. However, you and your preferred roommate will need to be a part of the same learning community, and should make sure to each list one another and mark on your application whether your roommate preference is more important than your placement in a specific Living Learning Community. 

If I am in the Norbert O. Schedler Honors College, will I be able to be in an LLC? 

The Honors College offers its own Living Learning Community at Farris Honors Hall and features the same resources and similar programming to all other LLCs. From classrooms in the hall to co-curricular programming, students in Honors@Farris Hall take part in their own enriching community.

What if I need housing accommodations due to a disability?

All student accommodations are handled through the OARS office. Please contact them to discuss appropriate accommodations and adjustments. OARS will then contact Housing and other appropriate offices to make sure we work together to meet your  needs.