CCED Intern Introduction: Mya Hall

One of the most powerful authors, Toni Morrison, once penned the lines, “ When you get these jobs that you have been so brilliantly trained for, just remember that your real job is that if you are free, you need to free somebody else. If you have some power, then your job is to empower somebody else. This is not just a grab-bag candy game.”. My name is Mya Hall and in my short years of living, I have tried to pattern my life after these wise words. I am from the southeastern Arkansas town, Stuttgart, AR and I am currently pursuing a BA in Philosophy and African and African-American Studies with a minor in Honors Interdisciplinary Studies.

I am more than grateful to be granted the opportunity to intern here at the Center for Community and Economic Development. Through this internship I am hoping to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to do as Morrison states, “free somebody else”. Coming from a community where there is dire need for community development, I am excited to broaden my skill set from working with such a phenomenal staff to take back to my hometown.

My career and education goals are a reflection of my purpose. I am on a quest of knowledge so that I can become more informed through knowledge and learning to truly put service first. My goal is to serve my community in such a way that others will not have to deal with the disparities that I have in the past. I want to ensure that the upcoming youth are able to live without limitations brought on by a lack of development in their community. My plan is to obtain a law degree after my undergraduate years so that I can fight for the betterment of my community.