The RN to BSN track is for the Registered Nurse (RNs) who is a graduate of an accredited associate degree or hospital diploma nursing program and seek a Bachelor of Science (BSN) degree. Qualified RNs receive 41 hours of BSN nursing credit based on their prior educational program. The program is designed for the working RN with all nursing courses offered online.
Online Tuition & Fees – please see the Student Accounts website for Online Undergraduate Tuition information www.uca.edu/studentaccounts.
Important Application Information
We are currently accepting applications for Summer 2017.
Applications received after April 15, 2017 will be considered for admission in fall 2017.
RN TO BSN ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Admission is selective and competitive. Requirements for the nursing major are:
- Minimum GPA of 2.75.
- Completion of specified required non-nursing courses with a GPA of 2.5 or above (53 hours) and completion of remaining general education courses (21 hours) with at least a “D”. Applicants lacking 1 or 2 pre-reqs may be considered for admission with approval.
- Complete Nursing Application for Admission.
- Current unencumbered Arkansas RN license.
- Graduate of an NLNAC accredited nursing program leading to RN licensure. Graduates of non-NLN accredited schools will be considered on an individual basis.
- Work experience as specified by the articulation standards, see below.
- Admission to UCA. The University application form is available on-line at http://www.uca.edu/admissions or call 1-501-450-3128. Students are encouraged to be under the advisement of a UCA Nursing Advisor prior to that time.
After admission the student will be sent information regarding the following:
- History and physical examination (photo copy to upload)
- Hepatitis B immunization or signed declination statement (photo copy to upload)
- CPR certification valid through academic year (photo copy to upload)
- TB skin text (or equivalent) valid through academic year (photo copy to upload)
- Copy of valid health insurance (photo copy to upload)
- Varicella vaccine documentation (photo copy to upload)
- Flu vaccine documentation (photo copy to upload)
- Criminal Background Check.
COMPUTER AND EMAIL GUIDELINES
An email account and access to a computer is required for participation in the RN program. For information about required computer hardware and software and available resources for online students, go to the UCA Online Technical Requirements & Resources page at http://uca.edu/online/technical-requirementsresources-and-supportbrowser-check/.
UCA email and Blackboard are the official communication tools for the university. Home email accounts will not be used for program or course information after a student enrolls in courses.
RN students may meet UCA’s BSN degree requirements through a combination of transferred credit from approved academic institutions, articulated nursing credit based on previous nursing education, and credit earned in residence. Select non-nursing courses must be earned prior to enrolling in required nursing courses (see section VI below). These courses may be transferred or completed at UCA.
After admission to the major, the RN student must complete at least 30 upper division hours of approved UCA courses. None of these courses may be transferred (see section VII below).
PREREQUISITE COURSES TO BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO ADMISSION TO THE BSN MAJOR. Students must meet a minimum of 35 hours of state minimum core requirements.
Please contact Ms. Schlosser at firstname.lastname@example.org so that she may complete an unofficial review of your transcripts to determine the status of your prerequisites.
Basic Oral Communication
Development Psychology or Lifespan Development
Introduction to College Writing
Anatomy & Physiology (8 credit hours with labs)
Physiological Chemistry or College Chemistry with lab (4 credits with lab
General Education Requirements if not met through associate degree or baccalaureate degree
Social Science Elective (3 credits)
Fine Arts Elective (3 credits)
Humanities Elective (3 credits)
US History or Government (3 credits)
Based on the Arkansas Nursing Articulation Model, RNs who meet the following criteria are eligible to receive credit for core nursing courses (41 hours) by validation (without testing). The credit is held in escrow until after the student has successfully completed all UCA BSN degree requirements.
- 0 to 12 Months after Graduation
- Graduate of an NLNAC accredited program.
- No work experience required.
- 12+ Months after Graduation
- Graduate of an NLNAC accredited program.
- At least 1000 hours of nursing employment during the past 12 months.
Graduates of non-NLNAC accredited programs are handled on an individual basis.
Nursing Content Met Through Articulation (41 hours)
Credit through articulation will be placed on the student’s transcript for the following courses after the other BSN requirements have been met. Students do not enroll in or pay tuition for these courses.
NURS 2310 Pharmacology
NURS 2305 Health Assessment
NURS 3501 Caring for Child Bearing Family
NURS 2505 Concepts of Professional Nursing
NURS 3505 Caring for Children and Their Families
NURS 2510 Caring for Medical-Surgical Patient
NURS 3510 Caring for Individuals with Psychiatric Disorders
NURS 3515 Caring for Adults with Chronic Health Problems
NURS 4505 Caring for Adults with Complex Health Problems
INSTRUCTIONS FOR TAKING THE TOEFL
TOEFL iBT (internet based test) scores are required of all applicants who were not born in the United States or in a country where English is the official language. The exam must have been taken within the last two (2) calendar years. Only TOEFL iBT scores received directly from ETS or the UCA Testing Center will be accepted as valid. NOTE – TOEFL ITP (paper and pencil, institutional based) scores will not be accepted.
Applicants who are required to take the exam may register for it at www.uca.edu/testing. Once at this site, go to the TOEFL iBT link. Another site to register for the exam is www.ests.org/toefl/ibt/register.
Questions about requirements should be directed to:
Rose Schlosser, School of Nursing, University of Central Arkansas
201 Donaghey Avenue, Conway, AR 72035