The mission of Conway Conversations is to provide a space for members of the UCA campus and Conway communities to come together and engage in conversation about social issues affecting diverse groups of community members. All members of the UCA campus and Conway communities are invited to join us to listen and share with one another. In all of our events, Conway Conversations welcomes a diversity of views and perspectives in the spirit of dialogue across differences.
Sign up to receive our email newsletter about upcoming events here.
Past Events and Resources
Crisis in Ukraine
Thursday, June 9th | 6-7pm CDT | View Recording
Since February 2022, the world has witnessed a new level of conflict in Ukraine, with millions of Ukrainians displaced and other nations responding in a variety of ways. As the crisis grows, it gets increasingly complicated and has left many people outside of Ukraine wondering how we got here, what the conflict is about, how or when it will end, and how we can support those most affected. Panelists included
- Alan Elrod, The Pulaski Institution
- Dr. Kateryna V. Pitchford, Central Baptist College
- Dr. Mark Elrod, University of Central Arkansas
- Dr. Shaun Casey, Harvard Divinity School
- Dr. Malcolm Elliott Glover (Moderator)
National Day of Racial Healing 2022
Tuesday, January 18th | 5:30-7pm CST | View Recording
This event featured UCA faculty and staff panelists whose perspectives ignited interactive small-group dialogue on the topic of Revisiting Broken Systems.
- Dr. Kristy Carter, Fixing Broken Entrepreneurial Ecosystems for Women of Color
- Dr. Taine Duncan, CRT and Critical Theories of Race: How Political Philosophy Can Help Us Identify and Resolve Structural Inequities
- Dr. Marsha Massey, Confronting Bias in STEM Education: Reflections of a Black Chemist
- Arkansas Racial Equity and Social Justice Challenge
- Women of Color Business Owners and Entrepreneurs in Arkansas
Where Do We Go from Here?
In June 2020, the Conway Conversations team hosted a facilitated conversation for participants to listen and share their feelings and reflections on the death of George Floyd and ongoing demonstrations. Participants discussed opportunities to support one another and contribute to long-term solutions to social problems. Resources for ongoing learning, reflection, and action are available at the link below.
Conway Conversations Planning Team
- Dr. Candice Maxwell, College of Education
- Dr. Riva Brown, College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Dr. Lesley Graybeal, Division of Outreach & Community Engagement
- Wendy Holbrook, Division of Student Services
- Steven Shook, Center for Leadership Development
If you would like to assist in facilitating a Conway Conversations event, please contact Lesley Graybeal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program is jointly supported by UCA Outreach & Community Engagement and UCA Division of Student Affairs.