October Spotlight

danbDan Barrington, MSE

Clinical Instructor II

Department of Elementary, Literacy, & Special Education

Educational Background

B.S. from Harding University in Elementary and Special Education (1983)
M.S.E from University of Central Arkansas in Reading (1997)

How long have you been at UCA & the College of Education?

I’ve taught at UCA in the College of Education for 18 years.

What courses do you teach?

ELSE 4316 Instructional Strategies for Elementary Math and Science (K-6) / ELSE 4318 Internship I Practicum (K-6) / EDUC 3322 Diverse Learners in Inclusive Settings (Middle and Secondary Level)

What is your favorite class to teach? Why?

My favorite class to teach has been and continues to be Instructional Strategies for Math and Science.  This class allows me to “step” back into the learning environment I taught in before coming to UCA.  It also is a course designed for active engagement in math and science lesson simulations that bring to life the course content and goals.

Do you have any favorite assignments to give?

I enjoy, as do the students, the group think labs that allow them to engage in elementary math and science concepts in the format that is intended for young learners during a “snapshot” lesson.

Describe a memorable teaching experience you’ve had at UCA & the College of Education.

It would be hard to identify just one memorable experience.  The one that automatically comes to mind, however, is having in my class a former fifth grade student of mine that I taught when teaching fifth grade. It was a reunion of sorts and also very rewarding!  Additionally, it is always an honor to walk down the halls of our partner schools every semester and see so many of our former teacher candidates taking the lead as educators of young students.

What excites you most about teaching?

There are so many new innovations in teaching and learning, it is challenging to keep up with what is current.  I have found that it’s critical to find opportunities to get back in the elementary classroom in order to relate to what the challenges and demands are for our teacher candidates.  I’m currently attending Ms. Lauren Davis’s third grade math class in Cabot on a weekly basis, where  I have the privilege of seeing new strategies (e.g. Math Workshop, Number Talks,…) effectively being incorporated with curriculum.

What are your interests & hobbies?

I love to run and work out at 10 fitness.

What is your favorite book, TV, and/or movie series?

I don’t have much time lately for pleasure reading, since new textbooks have been my spare time reading.  I did, however, just finish reading Jim Gaffigan’s book, “Food:  A Love Story”…Pretty funny stuff!!  I’m also a big “Big Bang Theory” fan.  I’m such a fan, that I could probably win at Big Bang Trivia Pursuit if it exists!

What would your superpower be?

My superpower would to flatten the tires of every vehicle that feels inclined to cut me off in traffic on I-40!

What is something you’re really good at that no one knows?

Ironing…So much so that the first time I ever heard of the Iron Man Competition, I thought I had a chance of winning big time with my Rowenta 2000 until I discovered what THAT was all about!