Arkansas Council of Teachers of English Language Arts Honored with 2013 Affiliate Excellence Award
Urbana, IL — October 4, 2013 — The Arkansas Council of Teachers of English Language Arts has been named one of 8 recipients of the 2013 Affiliate Excellence Award, given by the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE). The affilite, whose president is Donna Wake of Conway, Arkansas, has won the award for the first time.
The Affiliate Excellence Award was established in 1996 to honor NCTE affiliates that meet high standards of performance for programming and promote improvement in English language arts teaching.
Qualifications for the award represent standards of excellence to which all NCTE affiliates should aspire. Award winners fulfilled at least eight different criteria for excellent affiliate programming during the school year of application. The required criteria include:
- increasing membership in the affiliate or NCTE,
- publishing an affiliate communications instrument at least twice a year,
- conducting at least one professional development program for members,
- completing the annual affiliate report to NCTE by the deadline,
- achieving accomplishments such as implementing and maintaining a cultural diversity plan,
- developing a program to encourage new teachers into the profession,
- participating in an NCTE Affiliate Leadership Meeting, and
- participating in at least three affiliate-sponsored activities at the NCTE Annual Convention.
The award winners will be announced at the 2013 NCTE Annual Convention in Boston, Massachusetts, during the Affiliate Roundtable Breakfast on Sunday, November 24.
Other award winners include Colorado Language Arts Society, Concho Valley Teachers of English (TX), Georgia Council of Teachers of English, Montana Association of Teachers of English Language Arts, Ohio Council of Teachers of English Language Arts, Texas Council of Teachers of English Language Arts, and Virginia Association of Teachers of English.
For more information about the NCTE Affiliate Excellence Award, see http://www.ncte.org/affiliates/awards/excellence.
Contact: Millie Davis, 217-278-3634, email@example.com.
The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), with 35,000 individual and institutional members worldwide, is dedicated to improving the teaching and learning of English and the language arts at all levels of education. For more information, please visit http://www.ncte.org.