10) Increase your chances of academic success and persistence. Residential College students earn higher grades and are more likely to return to college after completing their first year. They also graduate at rates 12% higher than other first-year student cohorts.
9) Get to know your fellow Residential College students while completing UCA Core classes—all students take three residential college classes in the fall semester and 2 in the spring. The curriculum makes forming study groups a breeze and helps improve your social life.
8) Get involved in campus activities and civic organizations. Residential college students are involved in many campus activities and work closely with local volunteer organizations to be a positive influence on the community. Did you know that UCA has a food pantry called Bear Essentials? Here's a story about it: http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2014/jun/19/uca-food-pantry-result-employees-working-together-/!
And take a look at the video below for CANstruction!
7) Get to know your professors. The Residential Colleges give you something no other residence hall offers—a full-time UCA faculty member living in the hall. These Resident Masters help to create an extended family atmosphere within the college (plus they’re pretty cool). Also, there are another 15 faculty associates who teach UCA Core classes in each Residential College. The small class size in the Residential Colleges allows for more interaction with these professors. And that's a good thing.
6) Take advantage of our study sessions led by learning assistants. Residential Colleges have upper-class students called learning assistants who will work with you and beside you in the various study areas, nerd nodes, and classrooms. This is great for students who want a peaceful environment for study, but like having other people around in case a question pops up.Want to turn that "B" in history into an "A?" No worries. The learning assistants can help!
5) Residential College classes emphasize technology. Because learning about and with technology is essential for today’s students, each of the Residential Colleges integrate Blackboard enhanced classes and a technologically rich curriculum.
4) Only HPaW@Baridon, EPIC@Bear, EDGE@Hughes, STEM@Arkansas, & the Stars@Short/Denney have mentors. Mentors are older students who continue to participate in the Residential Colleges by assisting freshmen with everything from moving-in to finding campus resources. Many mentors are computer savvy students who are available to help residents with computer questions.
3) Enjoy additional activities that enrich your collegiate experience. The Residential Colleges offer a wide variety of activities and social events, including field trips, camping, canoeing, caving, and intramural sports. Did you know that we travel to Rwanda, Africa for a month-long service-learning study abroad experience each year? Take a look at a musician in Kanembwe Village playing the umuduri!
2) Make a smooth transition to UCA. Being part of a Residential College allows you to take classes with other students who live in your building. You will make friends, form study groups, and feel at home quickly.
And the #1 Reason to join a Residential College?
UCA Core classes are taught in your building! It's living and learning, right? Many of the Residential College classes are held in the building where you live. Running late? No problem. Just run downstairs. Bad weather? You'll stay dry and won't miss class because of a sudden Arkansas thunderstorm.