Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is a good minor or second major? The answer to this question depends on your future goals. Many of our majors choose Sociology because many of the classes are of interest. Writing is always a good area because writing skills are valued by graduate schools and employers. Spanish could be valuable if you plan to work with clients for whom Spanish is their first language. Biology and Chemistry are useful for those who plan to pursue psychiatry or some area of neuroscience. Management and Marketing would be appropriate for those who plan to work in the world of business. There are many options. You should discuss the possibilities with your advisor.
  2. How do I register for online courses? You must complete forms that can be obtained from the Outreach and Extended Studies office in Brewer-Hegeman Conference Center room 102.
  3. What do I need to do if I want to be able to conduct therapy with clients? Generally speaking, you cannot do this with a bachelor’s degree. To ensure professional standards, clinical psychologists, school counselors, school psychologists, school psychology specialists, community counselors, etc. must obtain at least a master’s degree and must obtain a license from a state board.
  4. What can I do with a bachelor’s degree in psychology? A bachelor’s degree in psychology is a very good degree for a variety of jobs that require a college degree, especially jobs in which you will be interacting with clients, customers, or coworkers. If you want to stay close to the field of psychology, there are jobs in personnel and human resource departments. However, most of the psychology-related jobs will be in some area of mental health services. These employers include inpatient facilities, outpatient facilities, counseling agencies, state agencies, etc. With a bachelor’s degree, many of these jobs will involve managing clients – making sure that treatment programs and protocols are being carried out.
  5. How long does it take to get degrees in psychology? Most bachelor’s degree programs are designed as 4-year programs. Most master’s degree programs are designed to take 2-1/2 years. Most doctoral degree programs are designed to take about 5 years (if you do not already have your master’s degree).
  6. What graduate programs are offered at UCA? We offer master’s degree programs in counseling psychology, community counseling, and school psychology. We offer a doctoral (Ph.D.) program in counseling psychology. Additional information and applications are available from the Graduate Programs link on our department homepage.
  7. Where can I find information about other graduate programs? Nearly every graduate program will have a website with information. So, internet searches are very useful. In addition, our department keeps a current copy of Graduate Study in Psychology. You can check this book out from the department secretary and look at it in the department. In addition to descriptions of programs, the book lists a variety of statistics for each program.
  8. What is the GRE? The Graduate Record Examination is a national standardized test for admittance to many graduate schools. There is a verbal portion, a quantitative portion, and a writing portion.
  9. What sort of GPA and GRE scores do I need to get into graduate school? It depends on such factors as the type of degree program, the specific area of psychology, and the quality/reputation of the program. Master’s degree programs are usually less competitive than doctoral degree programs. Clinical, counseling, and industrial/organizational psychology programs are some of the most competitive. As a very general guide, shoot for a GPA higher than 3.20 for master’s programs. As a very general guide, shoot for a GPA higher than 3.50 for doctoral programs.