MS in Health Promotion Graduate Program Frequently Asked Questions


Are all courses online?  Will I need to come to campus?

All courses needed for the degree program are available online.  Students do not need to come to the campus for any of the course work or requirements to complete the degree. The core courses are 16 weeks long in a regular semester. The elective courses are 8 weeks long in a regular semester and 5 weeks during summer semesters.

How much is a course?

Current graduate fees and tuition costs are posted online at:

Will I need to pay out-of-state tuition?

All online degree program courses are not charged out-of-state tuition. For information on expected tuition cost and fees, go here:

How many hours can I transfer into the program?

Students enrolled in the Non-Thesis Option may transfer up to twelve hours of coursework related to the master’s degree if the courses meet approval of the graduate advisor and departmental chairperson and relate to the health education degree competencies. Students enrolled in the Thesis Option may only transfer up to 9 hours of credit from another school. The student must provide the advisor the necessary information regarding the courses to be transferred.

Is there a minimum GRE score required?

  • Admission into the graduate studies at UCA, which include having a minimum 2.7 overall undergraduate GPA or a 3.0 in the last 60 hours. Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores that are less than five years old indicating a score of 3.0 or higher on the writing section. We recommend taking the GRE at least one month prior to classes starting since it takes around 3-4 weeks to get GRE results.
  • Exceptions to this GRE requirement include any of the following:
    1. A comparable standardized graduate exam that includes a writing section score;
    2. CHES or MCHES certification;
    3. Completion of a master’s degree or higher from a U.S. accredited institution;
    4. An undergraduate GPA of 3.25 of higher.

How do I apply to enroll in the master’s degree program?

For enrollment, you will need to make an application to the   University of Central Arkansas Graduate School. Locate the graduate school application, complete the form, and mail it with your application fee to the UCA Graduate office.  If you have not taken the GRE, please do so as soon as possible.  (See the link on the web page with the graduate application.) Students are not eligible for financial aid or graduate assistantships if they have not submitted GRE score.  All GRE scores must be submitted before the student can file for candidacy papers to be formally accepted in the program. As soon as the application is processed by the graduate school, your application is sent to the Department of Health Sciences graduate advisor  who reviews the application and determines your admission status.  The decision is sent to the graduate office and a letter of notification is mailed to the student.