Since 1920, public service has supported the University’s mission when the first correspondence study classes were offered to meet the need for trained teachers in remote locations of the state. As the University’s role and scope expanded, outreach programs also evolved to reflect a more comprehensive curriculum. Facilities and technology resources grew to support these new offerings and were often used in connection with public service and community activities.
In 1975, the Board of Trustees created the Division of Continuing Education, now Outreach and Community Engagement, as a central administrative unit to coordinate the growing number of outreach programs. The Division’s role was to work with internal units to respond to public service needs. This role was affirmed in 1988 when the continuing education model of “administratively centralized/academically decentralized” was espoused as an outcome of institutional restructuring. This model, which remains in place today, allows the academic units to retain ownership of outreach programs, while providing a centralized portal of access for public engagement.
The Division of Outreach and Community Engagement (OCE) aspires to meet the diverse needs of our University and community partners through comprehensive learning and civic engagement opportunities.
The Division of Outreach and Community Engagement (OCE) connects the campus with the community and provides quality, innovative and life-long learning opportunities in the areas of professional development, personal enrichment and community and economic development.
Collaboration – Diversity – Excellence – Innovation – Integrity – Professionalism