Army ROTC at the University of Central Arkansas is a premier leadership development program that commissions 2LT's for the Army, Army Reserves, and Army National Guard. The Bear Battalion host school is UCA, where the battalion headquarters is located. Partnership schools are staffed with military science instructors and are located at Arkansas Tech University in Russellville, and at Henderson State University in Arkadelphia. Affiliate schools include Hendrix College in Conway and Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia. Hendrix students take ROTC courses at UCA, while OBU students take courses at Henderson State.
S - A - L
SCHOLAR - ATHLETE - LEADER
Bear Battalion seeks student candidates that embody “scholar, athlete, and leader” characteristics. Army Officers are scholars from the beginning. Possessing a Bachelor’s degree is a requirement to be commissioned as an officer. Army Officers lead America’s sons and daughters into combat. A higher level of physical fitness is required to lead America’s Soldiers. The level of leadership required to face our adversaries on the battle field requires trust unlike any other profession. Research has shown that individuals that possess S – A – L characteristics tend make confident, agile, and trustworthy leaders that our Soldiers need.
If you are a person that likes to be challenged, enjoys physical fitness, and puts others before yourself, you should check out UCA’s Army ROTC program.
- Membership in National Honor Society
- Honors or Advanced Placement Program graduate
- GPA over 3.0 and SAT/ACT over 1100/24
- Top 10% of class
- Varsity Letter from HS team
- Member of regional/city/competitive league
- Either active involvement in organized competitive team sports or active involvement in individual athletic competitions (triathlon, mountain biking, running, martial arts, etc.)
- Elected member of student government, class, or activity
- Captain of athletic or academic team
- Eagle Scout/Gold Star
Served in position of responsibility in school/club or private organization and leader in volunteer service organizations/activities
S – A – L criteria listed above are not required but preferred according Cadet Command Pamphlet 145-1.