Phi Upsilon Omicron ( www.phiu.org ) is a national honor society in Family and Consumer Sciences. The purposes of Phi Upsilon Omicron are to:
- Recognize and promote academic excellence
- Enhance qualities of leadership by providing opportunities for service
- Encourage lifelong learning and commitment to advance Family and Consumer Sciences and related areas.
Founded in 1910 at the University of Minnesota, there are currently 61 different Phi U chapters in the United States and one international chapter.
UCA Gamma Beta Chapter-Phi Upsilon Omicron
An undergraduate student shall be eligible to be a collegiate member of a chapter if the individual:
- Has completed a minimum of 40 semester hours, 60 quarter hours, or the equivalent
- Is majoring in Family and consumer Sciences or one of its specialized areas in an institution where a chapter is established
- Has a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Exhibits the potential for professional and community leadership
- Demonstrates a spirit of service
- Exemplifies character through personal integrity and professional attitude
Membership is exclusive; only majors in Family and Consumer Sciences are invited. Requirements include a minimum of 3.5 GPA and completion of at least 40 hours. Members must display integrity and exhibit character exemplifying an honor student.
Membership is a mark of excellence by others in academic and professional work.
Members receive recognition through scholarships, leadership, service, and character.
A transfer student shall become eligible for membership after the completion of one semester or 2 quarters and after meeting eligibility requirements.
Membership is $65.00, which provides a lifetime membership in Phi Upsilon Omicron.
UCA's Gamma Beta chapter of Phi Upsilon Omicron meets monthly. Regular attendance at monthly meetings is required.
Phi U members at UCA participate in several community service programs and charity drives throughout the school year.