MAT Admission Requirements

Thank you for your interest in the Master of Arts in Teaching program at the University of Central Arkansas.  Since its founding in 1907 as Arkansas State Normal School, UCA has been Arkansas’ premier institution for teacher education.

That mission remains strong today with both undergraduate and graduate level preparation programs for teacher licensure.  The MAT program serves candidates who have earned an undergraduate degree and now want both the intensity and rigor of a graduate-level program as well as the opportunity to earn an Arkansas teaching license.

The MAT program has rolling admission. The program takes new applications continuously. You may begin taking courses at the start of the next available, full term after you meet the MAT program entrance criteria and are accepted into the program. For full term start dates (Fall, Spring, Summer I, Summer II), check UCA’s academic calendar.

Deadlines for Application

While the MAT program has a rolling admission, it is critical that we receive documentation in a timely fashion. This ensures that you have a positive start to the program and the semester.

For Fall and Spring applicants, all documentation for both the Graduate School and the MAT program must be received no later than Friday prior to the start of classes for the chosen semester.

For Summer I applicants, all documentation for both the Graduate School and the MAT program must be received no later than the last Friday in May.

For Summer II applicants, all documentation for both the Graduate School and the MAT program must be received no later than the last Friday in June.

PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to speak to a member of the faculty about the program, it is always best to make an appointment. While we welcome drop-in visitors, we cannot always guarantee someone will be available to answer your questions on short notice. Faculty have many responsibilities that take them out of the office for meetings, school visits, etc.

Follow the requirements below for admission to the MAT (K-6, Middle Level, or Secondary) Program:

Note: If you currently hold a teaching license (provisional or standard) and/or have completed a student teaching internship at this or any other institution, you are ineligible for admission into the UCA MAT program. If you are switching to UCA’s program from another teaching licensure program, you will need to disclose that information and provide a letter of good standing to the UCA MAT office.

Step 1: Apply to UCA’s Graduate School

Requirements for Graduate School Admission:

  1. Complete the Graduate School application available here. A $25 application fee is required.
  2. Submit original, sealed transcripts to the UCA Graduate School from all previous schools attended. (Not necessary for UCA transcripts). The required minimum undergraduate GPA for admission is 2.7.
  3. Once prompted by the Graduate School, you will submit a Statement of Purpose. The guidelines and a submission link will be sent to you by the Graduate School.

Step 2: Apply to the MAT Program

Requirements for MAT Program Admission and Retention:

  1. Complete and submit the on-line MAT application available here.  Application must be submitted on-line, using this form. Paper copies are not accepted.  [PLEASE NOTE:  If using a PC with the Firefox browser, you will have to download the file to your computer and open with Adobe Reader directly.  IE10 and Chrome browsers on PC will display correctly. If using a Mac, only use Safari to open the form. —– Be sure to save the form to your computer as a backup after filling it out.]
  • You may only select ONE (1) licensure area on Page 2 of the application.
  • For 7-12 licenses, you must complete the appropriate transcript review page.

2. Submit a 2nd set of original transcripts to the MAT office. (Not necessary for UCA transcripts)

Mailing Address:

University of Central Arkansas

Master of Arts in Teaching Program

201 Donaghey Ave.

Mashburn 104

Conway, AR 72035


Email e-Scrip Copies to: Mrs. Susan Suits

3. By the end of your first semester, submit PASSING scores on the Praxis Core OR GRE to the MAT office NOT the graduate school.

  • Passing minimum Praxis Core scores (Reading 156, Writing 162, Math 150) Up-to-date information on the required Praxis exams can be found at
  • Passing minimum GRE scores (Verbal 142, Quantitative 142, Analytical Writing 3.5).
  • If you do not meet the minimum scores, but have an undergraduate GPA that is 3.0 or higher, please refer to the PDF file below containing the sliding scale, based on GPA. Questions? Contact Mrs. Styles-Foster

Copy of Proposed Sliding Scale for Praxis_GRE-1

*If Passing Praxis Core or GRE scores are not submitted by the end of your first semester of coursework, you will be unable to move forward in the program until passing scores are received by the MAT office.

If you plan on teaching in your own classroom on a provisional license, while completing the MAT program, you must meet the requirements for a provisional license. Those requirements can be found at this link: A provisional license will not be awarded until you have met the retention requirement of submitting the required standardized test scores.

Please Note: Applications will not be processed until all documentation is received and files are complete. If you are unsure about the status of your application, you need to contact Mrs. Susan Suits, Teaching and Learning Administrative Specialist or 501-852-2810

For detailed information on the program, see the Master of Arts in Teaching program description in the graduate bulletin.

Program Requirements and FAQs

The program requirements can be found under the Admissions tab. For more information, please browse the “Helpful Hints” tab listed above.

Special Notice

The K-6 program requires candidates to have a teaching job in a K-6 classroom prior to Internship.