Programs and Degrees

Information for Prospective Students

Speech-Language Pathology is a challenging but satisfying career with excellent employment options. Speech-language pathologists evaluate and treat individuals with communication disorders.  Some clinicians specialize in caring for children, other specialize in serving adults. Speech-Language Pathologists are employed in many settings:  public and private schools, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, nursing care facilities, corporations, state and local health departments, home health agencies, long term care facilities, and centers for persons with developmental disabilities.  Many have careers in research laboratories and as college professors.  Because of a national shortage of speech-language pathologists, there are many employment opportunities.

To become a certified and licensed speech-language pathologist, a master’s degree is required.  UCA offers a bachelor’s degree program that provides the foundational coursework for graduate study in communication sciences and disorders, a master’s degree program that prepares students for certification and licensure and a doctoral program for those wishing to pursue careers in higher education and research labs.

Degree Options

Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD).

This degree is obtained by completing the traditional 4-year track.  To access the official university undergraduate bulletin and Program Completion Plans, refer to the undergraduate bulletin web page.

Transfer Students

Students who transfer from other institutions need to contact a departmental advisor to ensure that they have the necessary coursework for majoring in CSD. To view the necessary steps for admission, refer to the Registrar’s web page on transfer student policies and procedures.

Master of Science in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD).

This degree is required to practice as a speech-language pathologist in Arkansas and many other states.  Master’s students complete a minimum of 54 hours of coursework and clinical externships in which they evaluate and treat individuals with communication disorders while supervised by a certified clinician. The CSD department operates a speech-language-hearing clinic on the university campus. In addition, the program maintains affiliation with numerous agencies that provide our students clinical practicum opportunities. Externships can also be arranged in other areas of United States in settings where students desire to gain clinical experience.

Deadline for admissions to the Masters program: January 15.