Fees and Financial Aid

[1] General Information

The university is supported chiefly by state appropriations and student fees. The goal of the university is to offer the best possible educational opportunities and services at the lowest possible costs. It is the responsibility of a registered student to comply with the University’s withdrawal policy if they do not plan to attend. Collection fees for outstanding debts owed to the university may be assessed to the student. The university reserves the right to amend or add to the regulations of the institution, including those concerning fees and methods of payment, and to make such changes applicable to students enrolled in the university, as well as to new students.

[2] General Registration and Other Mandatory Fees

General registration and other mandatory fees are based on the number of hours in which a student is enrolled. Current fee schedules, payment due dates, payment options, and other valuable information  can be obtained in the Student Accounts Office, Bernard Hall, Suite 110, or from the Student Accounts web site.

[3] Financial Adjustments for Schedule Changes and Withdrawals

Rules governing financial adjustments for schedule changes and withdrawals can be obtained in the Student Accounts office, Bernard Hall, Suite 110, or from the Student Accounts web site.

It is the responsibility of a registered student to officially withdraw if the student plans not to attend or leaves the university during a term. Undergraduate students begin the official withdraw at the Academic Advising Center; however, arrangements must be made with several other offices to avoid financial penalties. Other offices include, but are not limited to, the Registrar’s Office, the Library, Housing, Financial Aid, and Student Accounts.

[4] Financial Aid

Financial aid, simply defined, is money that helps students pay for their educational costs. Aid may be in the form of loans, grants, scholarships, employment opportunities, or a combination of all of these.

The Student Financial Aid Office is responsible for awarding Title IV Aid (federal grants, loans and work study) as well as institutional academic scholarships. In addition, the office is responsible for coordinating all financial aid for which a student is eligible to ensure compliance with institutional, state and federal guidelines. The office is a good resource for questions regarding all type of financial aid including institutional, state, federal and private funds.

Most federal programs require the student to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA gathers information that is used to determine the relative financial strength of the student’s family or the need for assistance. Please note that eligibility criteria for each of the programs varies. Students may be able to establish need for all programs, whereas others may be able to establish eligibility for one program but not all programs. The following is a general summary of the programs available at UCA and is intended to give you an overview of these programs.

Detailed information may be obtained from the Student Financial Aid Office located in Harrin Hall, Suite 200. Office of Student Financial Aid personnel are available to answer questions.

[4.1] Grants

[4.1.1] Federal Pell Grants

This is the basic grant available to undergraduate students who have demonstrated an exceptional financial need on the FAFSA and have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. Funding comes from the federal government.

[4.1.2] Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOG grants are intended, as the name implies, to supplement other aid. These grants are federally funded with each school receiving a fixed amount each year. Funds are awarded to a limited number of undergraduate students with preference being given to Pell recipients demonstrating exceptional financial need.

[4.2] Loans

[4.2.1] Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

The Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan programs provide low interest loans to students who are attending UCA at least half-time. The U.S. Department of Education acts as the lender for the loans with multiple agencies selected by the federal government acting as the Servicer.

[4.2.2] Federal PLUS Loan (Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students)

Federal PLUS loans are not based on the income of the family. These loans allow creditworthy parents of undergraduate students to borrow up to the cost of education minus other aid.

[4.3] Campus Employment

UCA offers two work programs on campus. One is need-based Federal College Work Study; the other is non-need-based UCA Employment. Both programs require students to provide documentation of their eligibility to work including a copy of their Social Security card.

With the exception of a student qualifying for College Work Study, both work programs have the same hiring process and require the same paperwork for payroll.

[4.4] Scholarships

For information about scholarships available to students at UCA, see the Office of Financial Aid’s Scholarship page.

[4.5] Veterans Benefits

UCA services various benefits for veterans and dependents. The Montgomery G.I. Bill, Post 9/11 and Chapter 35 (Children of Disabled Veterans) are some of the programs that aid those who qualify. Since much of this is technical information, it is suggested that an individual applying for aid from Veterans Administration programs contact the Regional Office of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. The Veterans Services Office, a part of the Office of the Registrar, provides enrollment certification information, application forms, and other support services.