Frequently Asked Questions

  • How long will I be in IEP?  This depends on your level of proficiency when you enter the IEP.  International students with an iBT TOEFL score less than 61, a PBT score of less than 500 or those without a TOEFL score,  take a placement exam that determines what IEP level they will start in.  IEP has 6 levels, and every level is 8 weeks long.  A TOEFL score over 500 will qualify a student to take regular university classes.
  • If I’m going to graduate school, do I still need to take IEP classes?  If your TOEFL score meets the graduate school’s requirement for your field of study, then you are not required to take IEP classes.  However, taking IEP classes does NOT guarantee admission into graduate school and an official TOEFL score is required.
  • What different countries are represented in IEP?   IEP enrolls students from many different countries, including China, Saudi Arabia, Niger, Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Bolivia,  S.Korea, Thailand , Japan and others.
  • Do I have to take the TOEFL before applying to UCA?   No, you do not have to take the TOEFL before applying to UCA.  However you cannot be admitted to undergraduate classes until you have either completed the IEP or received a qualifying TOEFL score.  Graduate students may not be admitted into the university without a qualifying TOEFL score.
  • Where can I take the TOEFL?   UCA offers the institutional TOEFL on campus. This means that UCA is the only institution to receive or use the scores of the students taking the institutional TOEFL.  Students who wish to take the Internet-based TOEFL are free to schedule an exam time at their convenience through the ETS Web site.
  • If I pass the TOEFL, do I have to complete all IEP levels?  No, students are not required to complete all IEP levels if they pass the TOEFL; however, if a student takes the institutional TOEFL and passes during the semester, they must complete IEP classes to meet the rules of their immigration status.
  • Can I get a job on campus?  International students can apply for some jobs on campus. These jobs may include departmental positions, or in the cafeteria or with catering. Many students apply for jobs on campus, but it is not guaranteed that you can find a job. Students with on-campus jobs work a maximum of 20 hours a week. It is illegal for international students on student visas to work off campus.