Registration and Credit

[1] Orientation, Advising, and Registration

The academic year beginning in August comprises two semesters and a summer session.

The university assists students in adjusting to college life. An effort is made to promote self-respect, personal and school pride, and honor so that students may become responsibly self-directing, not only in campus and off-campus experiences, but in later experiences as individuals, professional persons, and citizens.

Several orientation programs are offered to assist freshmen and transfer students. A summer orientation program gives students and parents an opportunity to learn more about UCA, its services and programs, and to advance register for fall semester classes. Immediately prior to the beginning of the fall and the spring semesters, orientation sessions are offered for freshmen and transfer students. Orientation sessions focus on providing students with information to help them succeed at UCA.

The university makes available detailed information about registration procedures and dates. All students are expected to follow established procedures to register for courses during the dates specified for each academic term. Credit is not awarded in any course for which the student is not duly registered. Once registered, a student will be considered officially enrolled unless they officially withdraw from the university before the first date of classes for the term.

Each student is responsible for planning a program of study and for meeting requirements for graduation. Students should become familiar with curricular requirements, course sequences (indicated by course numbering and prerequisites), upper-and lower-division requirements, the unit of credit, and the normal study load limit.

All students receive assistance of a faculty advisor. First-year freshmen and students who have not declared a major will receive advising from the Academic Advising Center in Harrin 100. Declared students in their sophomore year or higher will receive advising from their major advisor within the department in which the major is located. It is ultimately the responsibility of all students to be informed of all regulations and requirements and to monitor progress toward a successful university experience, including meeting any and all requirements for a degree from UCA.

[2] Changes in Registration/Withdrawal from Courses or the University

The change-of-course procedure requires approval by the student’s advisor and the Office of the Registrar. No addition to a student’s schedule may be made after the late registration period. Information posted on the Registrar’s website (e.g., academic calendar, withdrawal information) outlines procedures and lists dates for course changes.

A student may officially withdraw from a course or the university so long as the withdrawal is within the dates specified in the academic calendar for the semester. If a student withdraws from a course or the university during the change-of-course period, no grade will be recorded.

After the change-of-course period, a withdrawal grade (W – Withdrawn, WP – Withdrawn Passing, or WF – Withdrawn Failing) will be recorded according to the deadlines specified in the academic calendar for the semester and, when applicable, at the discretion of the course instructor, so long as the course instructor has not already dropped the student for non-attendance.

If a student discontinues attendance without officially withdrawing, an instructor may drop the student for non-attendance and report a withdrawal grade of WF, but must do so by the deadline date for a student to officially withdraw with a WP or WF specified in the academic calendar for the semester.

[3] Auditing a Course

A student may audit a course with the permission of the instructor and the Office of the Registrar if such enrollment is indicated at the time of registration. Changes from “Credit” to “Audit” must be made within the late registration period. As an auditor the student does not take examinations or receive credit. An auditor must comply with the instructor’s attendance requirements. Fees for an audit course are the same a those for a credit course.

[4] Classification of Students

Since all of the undergraduate courses of the university are integral parts of four-year curricula, students are designated as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors:

Freshman: A student who has less than 30 semester hours credit
Sophomore: A student who has 30 semester hours credit
Junior: A student who has 60 semester hours credit
Senior: A student who has 90 or more semester hours credit

The post-baccalaureate student is one who possesses a baccalaureate degree, is not a graduate student, and is registered in courses for undergraduate credit. A post-baccalaureate student may elect a program of studies beyond the baccalaureate degree but will not be classified as a graduate student and may not enroll for graduate credit.

A student must be officially admitted to the Graduate School before being eligible to enroll in graduate-level courses.

[5] Course Numbers

The numbering of courses has the following significance:

  1. The first digit indicates the level of the course:
    1. 1000: Courses designed for beginning students
    2. 2000: Second-level courses, often in the sequential development of programs representing a higher level of sophistication than the 1000-level courses
    3. 3000: Third-level courses open to both sophomores and upper-division students
    4. 4000: Courses open only to juniors and seniors
    5. 5000 & higher: Graduate courses open only to students admitted to graduate-level study
  2. The second digit indicates the amount of credit. A course numbered 1300 is a freshman course giving three hours of credit.
  3. The last two digits distinguish a course from others offered by the same department.

[6] Credit Hours and Course Loads

The unit of credit at the university is the semester hour. A semester hour is defined as the credit earned for the successful completion of one hour per week in class for one semester, or a minimum of two hours per week of laboratory work for one semester. Each lecture hour suggests a minimum of two hours preparation on the part of the student.

The minimum number of semester hours per semester for classification as a full-time undergraduate student is twelve. The maximum number of semester hours in which a student with less than a B average (3.0) may enroll is eighteen. A student who has an overall GPA of 3.0 or a GPA of 3.0 in the preceding semester may, with the approval of the Office of the Registrar, schedule a maximum of twenty-one hours for the following semester. A request to take more than twenty-one hours in a semester will require written approval from the student’s advisor, major department chair, college dean, and provost.

For the summer session, the minimum load for classification as a full-time student is based on the length in the course of study. For a five-week course of study, four semester hours is the normal minimum load required for classification as a full-time student, and seven semester hours is the normal maximum allowable. A request to take more than a maximum load in a summer term will require written approval from the student’s advisor, major department chair, and college dean.

To be eligible for graduation with a baccalaureate degree, a student must complete a program of study that contains at least 120 semester hours of unduplicated credit – of which at least 40 hours must be upper-division – or more if the curriculum requires it.

[7] The Credit, No-Credit Grading Option

The credit, no-credit grading option is designed to provide the opportunity for a student to explore academic areas that are not included in required areas of study.

A junior or senior student in good standing (i.e., eligible to be enrolled at UCA) may take one elective course each semester (for a maximum of four courses) under the credit, no-credit option. These courses will not be permitted to satisfy UCA Core, degree, or major and minor (graduation) requirements.

The student must declare an intention to the registrar to receive the “credit, no-credit” designation by the close of the late registration period and may not change to grade status during the term. Passing work will receive credit; failing work, no-credit. In either event, the course will not calculate in the grade point average.

The above regulations do not apply to courses that are graded only on a credit, no-credit basis.

[8] Credit by Examination

A student may present no more than 30 hours credit earned through examination toward the associate or baccalaureate degrees.

[8.1] CLEP: College Level Examination Program

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) allows a student to receive university credit and/or satisfy university requirements. The university permits a student to take either the general examinations or specific subject examinations to earn college credit for a maximum of thirty hours of UCA Core courses. No student may use test scores in lieu of courses in the major or minor, except in instances where UCA Core requirements and major or minor requirements overlap.

CLEP credit may be awarded to those students who have met the minimum score requirement set by the university, have not already satisfied the UCA Core requirement, and have not begun the course for which credit is sought. All examinations must be taken before the end of the semester in which a student is enrolled for the 75th hour.

When a student has satisfactorily completed the examination and has earned 12 hours in residence at the university, credit will be recorded and designated CLEP on the student’s permanent record. However, the result of CLEP examinations will not be used in computing a student’s grade point average. Thirty semester hours is the maximum examination credit allowed. To earn credit in writing, the examination must be taken before the student begins the course(s) for which credit is sought. Credit for successful completion of these examinations is recorded at the end of the term in which the scores are received. Students should apply directly to the test center where the test is to be taken. A transcript of scores must be sent to the Office of the Registrar.

College credit on each of the CLEP examinations is awarded as follows:

CLEP Examination UCA Courses Score Hours Credit
College Composition WRTG 1310 50 3
WRTG 1310 and/or 1320 60 3-6
Natural Sciences BIOL 1400 & PHYS 1400 50 8
College Mathematics MATH 1360 50 3
College Algebra MATH 1390 48 3
Humanities ART 2300 50 3
Social Sciences & History Awards 3 hours of General Elective credit 49 3
History of the United States I: Early Colonization to 1877 HIST 2301 49 3
History of the United States II: 1865 to the Present HIST 2302 50 3
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648 HIST 1310 50 3
Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present HIST 1320 48 3
A maximum of 9 hours may be awarded in History.
American Government PSCI 1330 51 3
Introductory Psychology PSYC 1300 51 3
Introductory Sociology SOC 1300 51 3

The CLEP Social Studies-History test will be awarded “general elective” credit (not “UCA Core” or “general education” credit) with a score of 49 or higher and count in the 120-hour minimum for graduation. It is not applicable to any UCA Core or program requirements.

A UCA Core requirement in history can be satisfied by passing subject examinations in World History I and/or World History II. The requirement of one course in American history or US government may be satisfied by passing subject examinations in those areas. It is also possible to earn credit on subject examinations in college algebra, general psychology, and introductory sociology.

[8.2] DANTES Subject Standardized Tests

The University of Central Arkansas awards credit for successful completion of the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) in the same subjects and according to the same requirements as those stipulated for the award of credit through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). The score requirement for DSST credit is the same as the score requirement for the corresponding CLEP credit.

For more information contact the University Registrar.

[8.3] Advanced Placement Program

The University of Central Arkansas is a participant in the Advanced Placement Program. A list of AP subject areas, courses, and exams; UCA minimum score bases for credit; and UCA credit awarded follows:

AP Subject Areas / Courses and Exams Score Basis UCA Credit
Art / Art History 4 ART 2335 Art History
5 ART 2335 Art History and 3 hours art history elective
Art / Studio Art: Drawing Portfolio 4 ART 1321 Drawing I
5 ART 1321 Drawing I and 3 hours studio art elective
Art / 2-D Design Portfolio 4 ART 1310 Design I, 2-D
5 ART 1310 Design I, 2-D and 3 hours general studio art elective
Art / 3-D Design Portfolio 4 ART 2312 Design II, 3-D
5 ART 2312 Design II, 3-D and 3 hours general studio art elective
Biology / Biology 4 BIOL 1440 Principles of Biology I
5 BIOL 1440 Principles of Biology I and BIOL 1441 Principles of Biology II
Calculus / AB 3 MATH 1496 Calculus I
Calculus / BC 3 MATH 1496 Calculus I and MATH 1497 Calculus II
Chemistry 4 CHEM 1450 College Chemistry I
5 CHEM 1450 College Chemistry I and CHEM 1451 College Chemistry II
Computer Science / A 3 CSCI 1470 Computer Science I
Computer Science / AB 3 CSCI 1470 Computer Science I and 3 hours computer science elective
Economics / Macroeconomics 3 ECON 2320 Principles of Macroeconomics
Economics / Microeconomics 3 ECON 2321 Principles of Microeconomics
English / Language and Composition 3 WRTG 1310 Introduction to College Writing
4 WRTG 1310 Introduction to College Writing and WRTG 1320 Academic Writing
English / Literature and Composition 3 WRTG 1310 Introduction to College Writing
4 WRTG 1310 Introduction to College Writing and WRTG 1320 Academic Writing
English / International English Language (APIEL) 3 TOEFL score of 500 (see “admission of students whose first language is not English”)
Environmental Science / Environmental Science 4 3 hours general lower-division elective credit
French / Language 3 FREN 2310 Intermediate French I
4 FREN 2320 Intermediate French II
5 FREN 3300 Advanced Grammar and Composition I
French / Literature 3 FREN 2320 Intermediate French II
4 FREN 3300 Advanced Grammar and Composition I
5 FREN 3321 French Literature II
German / Language 3 GERM 2310 Intermediate German I
4 GERM 2320 Intermediate German II
5 GERM 3300 Advanced Grammar and Composition I
Geography / Human Geography 4 GEOG 1320 Introduction to Human Geography
Government and Politics / Comparative 4 PSCI 1330 US Government and Politics
Government and Politics / United States 4 PSCI 1330 US Government and Politics
History / European 4 HIST 1320 World History II
History / United States 4 HIST 2302 American Nation II
History / United States 5 HIST 2301 & HIST 2302 American Nation I & II
History / World 4 HIST 1320 World History II
History / World 5 HIST 1310 & HIST 1320 World History I & II
Latin / Literature 3 LAT 2310
Latin / Vergil 3 LAT 2310
Music / Music Theory 4 MUS 1230 Harmony I
5 MUS 1230 Harmony I, MUS 1232 Harmony II, and MUS 1231 Ear Training I
Physics / B 4 PHYS 1410 College Physics 1 and PHYS 1420 College Physics 2
Physics / C: Electricity and Magnetism 4 PHYS 1442 University Physics 2
Physics / C: Mechanics 4 PHYS 1441 University Physics 1
Psychology / Psychology 3 PSYC 1300 General Psychology
Spanish / Language 3 SPAN 2310 Intermediate Spanish II
4 SPAN 2320 Intermediate Spanish III
5 SPAN 3300 Advanced Grammar and Composition
Spanish / Literature 3 SPAN 2320 Intermediate Spanish III
4 SPAN 3300 Advanced Grammar and Composition
5 SPAN 3320 Spanish Literature or 3321 Spanish American Literature
Statistics / Statistics 3 MATH 2311 Statistical Methods I

In any discipline (except history) in which Advanced Placement credit is earned, no CLEP credit will be allowed for any course lower than that course for which Advanced Placement credit has been awarded. A transcript of scores must be sent to the Office of the Registrar.

[8.4] International Baccalaureate Program

General education course credit may be awarded for International Baccalaureate Program courses on a case-by-case basis. A score of 5 or above on the Higher Level is required.

[8.5] Credit by Examination in Foreign Languages

A student who has studied a foreign language in high school may receive university credit under certain conditions. See the Department of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures section of this bulletin.

[8.6] Course Exemptions and Challenge Examinations

University departments may specify appropriate placement, exemption, or challenge examinations for UCA Core requirements or for major or minor requirements. Advanced placement does not excuse a student from taking the total number of hours specified in such programs.

[9] Extended Study Credit

The University provides the opportunity for a person who cannot be in residence to complete course work through Extended Study. No more than one-fourth of the total requirements for a baccalaureate degree may be earned through Extended Study (correspondence). A person interested in enrolling in Extended Study courses should contact the Division of Outreach and Community Engagement for course descriptions and policies governing this method of course work.

A student must be a high school graduate or equivalent to be eligible to enroll in Extended Study courses. High school students must obtain written approval from their high school principal. High school students may enroll concurrently in Extended Study courses.

UCA students must obtain written approval from their advisor and the chair of the UCA department offering the course. No more than six credit hours of Extended Study course work is allowed during a senior student’s final 30 credit hours.

Extended Study courses taken on an asynchronous basis (open-enrollment extended study courses) expire six months from the date of enrollment. A student may extend the course period for an additional six months by paying a renewal fee. Extended Study courses governed by scholarship stipulations or financial aid regulations are offered on a semester basis. For Extended Study courses taken on a semester basis, the enrollment period and the end of the term is the same as for on-campus courses for the Fall and Spring semesters and Summer session. These periods are posted on the university’s Academic Calendar.

The Extended Study course is posted on the student’s transcript at the time of enrollment. Upon completion of all course requirements, the student’s letter grade will be posted on his/her transcript.