The University of Central Arkansas grants the B.S.E in Kinesiology and Physical Education degree to individuals completing the selective admission Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) program within the College of Health and Behavioral Sciences in collaboration with the College of Education. The UCA PETE program is recognized as a premier teacher preparation and licensure program in the State of Arkansas. The UCA PETE program has the specific mission of providing the knowledge, methodologies, and dispositions requisite to positively impact K-12 level student achievement in physical education, health education, and athletics.
Individuals that successfully complete the B.S.E. in Kinesiology and Physical Education will be eligible for teaching licensure in the State of Arkansas to instruct physical education and health education within K-12 public school systems. Individuals in the PETE program are also eligible to complete the optional coaching endorsement to coach athletics within the K-12 population. Only individuals completing an Arkansas Department of Education certified teaching licensure program and coaching endorsement program can legally coach K-12 athletics in the State of Arkansas. Additional certifications are available to PETE majors through the UCA College of Education to receive teaching licensures for additional academic subjects. The B.S.E in Kinesiology and Physical Education also prepares individuals for the pursuit of graduate education and additional careers within the health sciences, behavioral sciences, and education. Example careers could be recreation, exercise science, athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, health promotion, fitness management, teacher preparation, sport administration, sport management, sport psychology, elite level coaching, or adapted physical education.
B.S.E. Kinesiology and Physical Education Program Goals
The University of Central Arkansas Bachelor of Science in Education in Kinesiology and Physical Education Program will:
- Model and promote best practice, professional leadership, and ethical conduct as outlined by the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE) and the Arkansas Department of Education.
- Provide our students with proven, innovative, and “hands on” learning opportunities in educational, clinical, activity-based settings.
- Provide guidance and opportunities for our students to develop effective communication and critical thinking skills as members of the teaching and health professions.
- Prepare our students for integration into their role in the health care, athletics, and educational settings.
- Collaborate with K-12, athletic, adapted, recreation, and preschool programs
- Promote our students’ professional development through participation in educational conferences, meetings, workshops and service opportunities.
Prepare our students to earn teaching licensure in the State of Arkansas and meet the SHAPE National Standards for Initial Physical Education Teacher Education.
If you are interested in the Physical Education Teacher Education Program, please contact the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education at 501-450-5701 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.