Student Resources and Services

[1] Student Services

The Division of Student Services actively participates in the academic and service mission of the university. We encourage, support, and challenge students to reach the highest levels of personal development as individuals, group members, and citizens. To achieve its mission, the Division of Student Services provides an array of programs, services, and activities designed to assist students to

  1. Make a successful transition to college life,
  2. Acquire the skills to be successful in their chosen career,
  3. Assume personal responsibility and make healthy life-style choices,
  4. Become effective leaders,
  5. Value and respect diverse cultures and backgrounds,
  6. Develop informed values affirmed by ethical standards of behavior,
  7. Enhance and protect a sense of community,
  8. Extend learning beyond the classroom, and
  9. Make health-enhancing use of leisure time.

[1.1] Campus Post Office

The University Campus Post Office is located on the first floor of the Student Center. All students living on campus are assigned a post office box where they receive their mail. The Campus Post Office offers regular postal services including stamps, express mail, international mail, and package service. Hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For more information call 450-3115.

[1.2] Career Services

The Career Services Center, located at 311 Bernard Hall, provides services to assist students in determining career and educational choices. Through both group and individual counseling, the center tries to help students better understand themselves, their interests, and abilities.

The Center will (1) provide information on careers, current job trends, colleges and graduate schools and (2) develop, sponsor and coordinate career-oriented programs for all students throughout the school year. The Center maintains a current library which includes directories of colleges, graduate schools and employers, the latest books on interview preparation and job hunting techniques, literature on specific companies and government agencies, and literature on any career. Career-oriented programs may include seminars, interview preparation, careers for women, career opportunities for minorities, and job-hunting techniques.

Placement services are provided for students and alumni to help them find full time, part-time, temporary, and summer employment in business, industry, government and education.

All students are encouraged to establish placement files with the Center before graduation. Placement records are maintained in the Center under the supervision of the director. These records are released to agencies, institutions, business firms, industrial organizations and individuals only after authorization of the student. Records are kept for a period of three years, after which they must be updated to be reactivated. For more information call 450-3134.

[1.3] Cooperative Education

Cooperative Education is an experiential learning activity involving a three-way partnership among the student, the university, and an employer. These experiences permit students to enhance skills and knowledge obtained in the classroom, solidify career decisions, gain work experience, and develop career-related networks. Students are paid in many of these experiences. Some experiences permit students to earn academic credit through internships.

The Office of Cooperative Education, located in Bernard Hall Room 209, helps eligible UCA students identify opportunities for these experiences. Students are coached on the placement process, complete an application, submit a resumé, and are placed in an applicant pool. For information, e-mail or phone 450-3250.

[1.4] Copy Center

The UCA Copy Center provides a wide range of copying services for UCA departments. Services include one or two-sided copying, color copying, stapling, folding, cutting, collating, binding, reduction/enlargement, and padding. For more information call 450-5199.

[1.5] Counseling Center

The Counseling Center, located in Suite 327 of the Student Health Building, provides students, faculty, and staff with a variety of services designed to facilitate personal development. All services are free and confidential in nature. Appointments can be made by calling 450-3138 or by coming by the Center Monday through Thursday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. A detailed brochure describing the full scope of activities provided is available upon request or the Center can be accessed on the Internet at The Counseling Center is accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services, Inc.

[1.6] Disability Support Services

The Office of Disability Support Services is located in the Student Center basement, room 01A. UCA seeks to be in compliance with both the spirit and letter of the law as stated in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act. This office’s primary goal is to provide access to all programs and reasonable accommodations to qualified students. It is the responsibility of the students to notify the University of any disability or disabilities. Students who attend UCA are required to provide documentation of disabilities. As soon as the student is accepted for admission to the university, they should complete a confidential registration form and make an appointment to meet with an office staff member to discuss the program and any accommodations that will be necessary. Academic accommodations may include e-text, enlarged print books, reader services, interpreters, use of adaptive technology, and alternative testing procedures. Other services are also arranged, depending upon the student’s particular needs. If you need assistance, call 450-3135.

[1.7] Health Promotion and Wellness

Health Promotion and Wellness Services is located in the HPER Center Room 204 and is open 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The main function of this office is to promote healthy behavior in the UCA community. Community assessments, such as the CORE Alcohol and Drug Survey, are conducted annually on campus to help evaluate the behaviors and programming needs for students. Education programs are also developed, implemented, and evaluated to help positively impact the health choices of those within the campus community. The office acts as a resource for health information for the campus, provided free of charge through a variety of brochures on numerous health topics and through events and presentations.

The primary focus of Health Promotion and Wellness activities is prevention. One goal is to create conditions at UCA where negative health behaviors are less likely to occur. Educational events and healthy alternative activities are held each semester and are free to all UCA students. The events include: Alcohol and Drug Awareness Week, Great American Smoke-Out, World Aids Day, Nutrition Fair, Health Fair, and National Women’s Health and Fitness Day. The office provides programs on alcohol and other drugs, stress management, sexually transmitted diseases, and other topics. For more information call 450-3133.

[1.8] International Programs

The Office of International Programs coordinates international student matters within the university and acts as a liaison between international students, administrative and departmental offices of the university, agencies of the US government, and private organizations. It processes all international undergraduate applications for admission, notifies students of their admission status, and issues admission documents. In addition, it organizes and coordinates a variety of UCA study abroad programs and supplies students with information about other study abroad opportunities.

The university provides English language training for students who need to increase their English proficiency (see Intensive English Program).

        [1.8.1] International Student Services

The Office of International Programs sponsors a variety of support services for international students. Advisory services are available regarding financial, personal, educational and social issues, health insurance claims, and the requirements of the Department of Homeland Security. Other services and programs include the following:

  • A comprehensive orientation program that meets the unique needs of new international students, including airport pick-up, advising, testing, registration, banking, and shopping. The program is designed to complement the new student orientation offered by the university.
  • The Bears without Borders, which gives students the opportunity to share their culture through presentations to local schools and civic organizations.

        [1.8.2] Study Abroad

The Office of International Programs encourages all UCA students to include at least one study abroad experience in their university curriculum and offers information and support to any student interested in studying abroad. Information is available in the Study Abroad Library located on the third floor of Torreyson Library.

University faculty interested in developing study abroad opportunities or exchanges can obtain assistance from the international programs staff with budgets, cost projections, exchange agreements, logistical arrangements, travel insurance, and other matters. Faculty should confer with department chairs and deans for clearance on all academic matters related to proposed study abroad programs.

UCA is a member of the Council for International Educational Exchange and the Institute of International Education. Both of these organizations provide significant support and resources for institutions and for students wishing to study abroad.

[1.9] Intramural Sports and Recreation

Intramural Sports – Not everyone can be a college athlete, but all can participate in intramural sports at UCA. The program is designed to provide an opportunity for every student, faculty and staff to participate in organized recreational sports competition. Long a tradition on the UCA campus, programs are conducted for men and women, while some are co-ed. Activities include flag football, tennis, cross country, softball, swimming, bowling, basketball, volleyball, table tennis, badminton, horseshoes, and soccer. These activities are governed by the Intramural Council, which consists of student representatives from intramural teams.

Recreation – The Office of Recreation provides recreation opportunities that aid in the sociological, psychological, and physiological development of the university’s students, faculty and staff. An indoor pool, softball complex, soccer, informal recreation, racquetball, badminton, table tennis, walleyball, aquatic programs, basketball, and sports clubs are just a few of the recreational opportunities available. Because of these programs and our indoor and outdoor facilities, this is one of the most popular operations on campus. For more information, stop by the Recreation Center located on Students Lane (off Farris Road), or call 450-5712.

HPER Center – A 73,000 square feet recreation facility that houses a gymnasium, fitness center, walking/job track, aerobic studio, recreation checkout, and separated locker rooms. The gymnasium has three regulation wood floor basketball and volleyball courts that can be converted into nine badminton courts. The fitness center is 11,000 square feet with state of the art fitness equipment, which includes cardiovascular machines with an audiovisual entertainment system, selectorized weight machines, and free weights. The walk/jog track has a rubberized surface for effortless workouts. The HPER Center, located on Students Lane (off Farris Road) is a must for any student interested in fun and fitness.

[1.10] KCON and KUCA Radio Stations

KCON 1230 AM is the student operated radio station at UCA and is located in the Student Center basement. KCON broadcasts contemporary adult music, campus news, weather, and UCA athletic events. The station also does live remote broadcasts of campus events. For more information on remote broadcast or advertising, contact Monty Rowell and Steve Owens at 450-3326.

KUCA 91.3 FM is the public non-commercial educational station at UCA and is located in the Student Center basement where it is being operated with KCON. The station broadcasts contemporary adult music, news, weather, UCA athletic events, along with educational and public affairs programs.

In the event of inclement weather, KCON 1230 AM will broadcast UCA closing and cancellation information and severe weather announcements.

[1.11] Leadership Programs

The university offers various leadership development workshops throughout the academic year. Guest speakers from around the country, as well as experts on the UCA campus, speak on important topics to assist students in developing their leadership skills. UCA annually sponsors the Leadership Academy and Leadership Institute, an intense 24-hour leadership retreat for student organization leaders. Helpful information including videotapes, pamphlets, and articles are available to student leaders in the Activity Center, located in the Student Center, room 207. For more information call 450-3137.

[1.12] Minority Services

The Office of Minority Services, located in room 01A of the Student Center basement, is available to provide resources and support services for UCA students. The Minority Mentorship Program, the Umoja Leadership Institute, and the Transitions Workshop are coordinated through the office. Each of these programs is designed to assist students, particularly minority students, in making the adjustment to college life and succeeding at UCA. In addition, the office offers multicultural training and workshops for students, faculty and staff. For more information, call 450-3135.

[1.13] Student Center

The Student Center is the community center of the university serving students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests. It offers a variety of programs, activities, services, and facilities. In the basement are offices for Minority Students Services, Disability Support Services, and the studios for KCON and KUCA radio stations. On the first floor is a food court, Post Office, University Bookstore, Campus Information Center, lounges, convenience store and the Java Joint featuring specialized coffee, drinks and desserts. On the second floor of the Student Center are meeting rooms, a ballroom, lounge space, and offices for the ECHO (school newspaper), SCROLL (school yearbook), Student Government Association, Greek Services, Student Organizations, Student Activities Board, Orientation, and Student Center Administration.

The Student Center also offers full service meeting and conference facilities for student organizations, university departments and conferences for the Central Arkansas area. The meeting rooms accommodate from ten to five hundred people, with portable staging, a variety of sound systems, and other services. For more information call 450-3235.

[1.14] Student Health Clinic

The Student Health Clinic is located on the first floor of the Student Health Building and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (Emergencies will be accepted until 5:00 p.m.). Services available include: measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus/diphtheria, hepatitis-B and meningitis immunizations, examination and treatment of minor illness or injury, TB skin tests, blood pressure checks, tests for pregnancy, blood sugar, cholesterol, strep test, urinalysis, CBC, mononucleosis test, pulse oximetry, and peak flow measurements as ordered by the nurse practitioner. EKG, laceration repair, removal of simple lesions, IV re-hydration, IM injections of a limited formulary and prescriptions on Schedule III, IV, and V are provided upon the order of an Advanced Practice Nurse (Nurse Practitioner). Women’s health care, including pap smears by appointment, and pelvic exams as needed are available. Physical exams are available by appointment only. Health education and counseling, loan of crutches, student health insurance forms, and assistance in obtaining appointments with health care providers outside the University are also available.

The Student Health Clinic does not routinely provide emergency care outside the office. Emergency care is obtained by calling 911 or at the Conway Regional Medical Center Emergency Room. Students are responsible for all charges, prescriptions, and tests outside the Student Health Clinic.

The Student Health Clinic does not provide excuses for missed classes. Should a student be unable to attend classes for three (3) days or more, the Student Health Clinic will notify the student’s instructors of the expected absence (but not the specific reason) and possible return date. The instructor may then decide what work, if any, may be performed at a later time. Extended absences may be reported by calling the Student Health Clinic (501-450-3136). Students who are confined to their residence hall room or require a temporary special diet due to illness may obtain meal slips from the residence hall director or the Student Health Clinic.

Proof of Immunization – Arkansas state law (Act 141, 1987) requires proof of two immunizations against measles and rubella for all full-time students and those part-time students living on campus. UCA requires students to provide proof of immunization before registering for classes. Immunizations are available free of charge in the Student Health Clinic.

[1.15] Student Insurance

An optional student insurance plan, provided through a private carrier, is made available to UCA students. The plan is designed to cover both accident and sickness. Benefits may be paid in addition to benefits from any other policy. Brochures can be obtained from the Student Health Clinic. The University of Central Arkansas is not responsible for any policy matters or contractual functions between students and the insurance carrier.

[1.16] Student Organizations and Activities

The student’s first priority at UCA is to study so that he/she may succeed academically. However, there is much more to college life than just classes, homework, exams and grades. There are student organizations, special events, athletics events – you name it! Through these co-curricular activities, students develop leadership and communication skills; interact with other leaders, administrators and faculty; increase their awareness of available campus resources; and enhance their development while at college.

There are over one hundred registered student organizations at UCA. A complete listing of currently recognized student organizations is available in the Activity Center, Student Center room 207.

        [1.16.1] Student Government Association

The Student Government Association (SGA) is the representative voice for UCA students. SGA formulates policies, allocates student activity fees to student organizations and university departments, and works closely with administration on issues that directly affect UCA students. SGA meetings, held on Monday evenings in the Student Center, are open to the public. Elections for various offices are held in the fall and spring. SGA offices are located in the Student Center, room 208. Students are encouraged to get involved in SGA leadership positions and sponsored activities. For more information call 450-3195 or visit

        [1.16.2] Student Activities Board

The Student Activities Board (SAB) coordinates entertainment for the campus community. Comedians, movies, musicians, lectures, specialty acts, and big-name concerts are just a few of the activities brought to the campus. All SAB events are funded through a student activity fee and most are free to UCA students. The SAB office is located in the Student Center, room 206. For more information call 450-3235 or visit

        [1.16.3] Greek Life

Fraternities and sororities are considered an integral part of campus life. Greek organizations provide social, recreational, service, and leadership opportunities for UCA students. UCA Greek organizations come under one of three governing bodies: Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council, and National Pan-Hellenic Council. The Greek Services Office is located in the Student Center, room 207. For more information call 450-3137 or visit

Panhellenic Council (NPC). The Panhellenic Council is a governing body composed of two delegates from each of the National Panhellenic Conference sororities on campus. Panhellenic meets weekly to discuss issues of mutual concern. Panhellenic also coordinates sorority rush and plans major recruitment, philanthropic, social, and educational programs for the sorority community. NPC groups recognized at UCA include Alpha Sigma Alpha, Alpha Sigma Tau, Delta Zeta, and Sigma Kappa.

Interfraternity Council (IFC). The IFC is a governing body composed of two representatives from each of the National Interfraternity Conference fraternities on campus. The IFC meets weekly to discuss issues of mutual concern. The IFC coordinates fraternity rush and seeks to develop policies and plan activities to unite the fraternity community and enhance the social and educational experiences of members. IFC groups recognized at UCA include Pi Kappa Alpha, Phi Sigma Kappa, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Tau Gamma, and Kappa Sigma.

National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC). The NPHC is a governing body composed of representatives from the historically African-American Greek organizations on campus. NPHC meets bi-weekly to discuss issues of mutual concern. NPHC also coordinates an annual calendar for the social events and theme weeks of the eight NPHC fraternities and sororities. NPHC fraternities recognized at UCA include Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Omega Psi Phi, Iota Phi Theta, and Phi Beta Sigma. NPHC sororities recognized at UCA include Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Sigma Gamma Rho and Zeta Phi Beta.

        [1.16.4] Life on Campus

Many activities and leadership opportunities are offered through on-campus life for students living in the residence halls/apartments. Each area has a council whose primary responsibilities include budgeting activity funds, purchasing equipment, improving facilities, forming intramural athletic teams, and planning social, educational, and cultural events. The Residence Student Association is the coordinating body for all the communities. It is composed of voting representatives from each area council. The Residence Life Judicial Board is comprised of students from the residence halls/apartments. Its function is to hear disciplinary cases of students who violate policies. For more information call 450-3132.

        [1.16.5] Student Publications

The university offers several publications in which students can become involved. The Scroll is the university’s yearbook. It attempts to tell the story of the school year through careful selection of eye-catching pictures and balanced written accounts. The idea is to produce a book that will be of immediate interest to readers, yet have lasting value as a historical document by accurately recording growth and change in the university. Working on the Scroll is open to all students. Students may volunteer or earn one credit hour in Print Media Applications through the Mass Communication program. The Scroll is supported by student fees and is issued at the end of the spring term. It is free to students. The office is located in the Student Center, second floor. For more information call 450-5599.

The Echo is a student-run, independent newspaper for the campus community. The newspaper is supported by student fees although most of its costs are borne by advertising revenues. It presents a weekly picture of university life and issues, through news, editorials, columns, photos and feature stories. The staff members are students from all areas of campus, and most have an interest in journalism. The Echo office is located in the Student Center, second floor. For more information call 450-3446.

Vortex is a literary and art magazine published at UCA. The Editorial Board is composed entirely of students. Department of Writing and Speech faculty serve as advisors only. Vortex contains student work in short fiction, poetry, essays, drama, screenplays, art, and photography. One volume a year is published during the spring term. For more information call 450-3344.

        [1.16.6] Department Organizations

Students can organize and join organizations related to their academic major. Department organizations available at UCA include:

Association of Psychology Counseling Grads
American Association Family & Consumer Science
Beta Alpha Psi
Honors Center Society
Design This
Le Cercle Francais
Minority Mentorship Program
National Student Speech, Language, Hearing Association
North American Saxophone Alliance
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Psi Chi/Psychology Club
Public Relations Club
Pre-Physical Therapy Club
Rough Draft, The UCA Creative Writing Club
Sigma Alpha Iota
Society of Physics Students
Spanish Club
Student Chapter National Art Education Association
Student Council for Exceptional Children
Student Dietetic Association (SDA)
Student Nurses Association
Student Occupational Therapy Club
Student Physical Therapy Club
UCA Biology Club
UCA Investment Club
UCA Marketing Club
UCA Student Chapter North American Saxophone Alliance
UCA Math Club

        [1.16.7] Honorary Organizations

UCA offers many honorary organizations that recognize students for their academic, leadership, and/or service achievements. Honor organizations at UCA include:

Alpha Sigma Lambda
Alpha Kappa Psi
Gamma Beta Phi
Kappa Delta Pi
Kappa Kappa Psi
Lambda Pi Eta
Order of Omega
Tau Beta Sigma
Sigma Theta Tau

        [1.16.8] Activity/Service Organizations

UCA offers organizations that focus on a program, activity, and/or service. Organizations available at UCA include:

American Society of Interior Design
Alpha Phi Omega
The Bear Den
Big Brothers Big Sisters/UCA
Black Graduate Association
Black Men United
Circle K International
Griot Society
UCA Habitat for Humanity
Humane Society of SRC/UCA
Leadership Council
Medieval Battle Re-enactment Organization
Phi Beta Lambda
Prism Alliance of UCA
Residence Hall Councils
SIFE Students in Free Enterprise
Society for the Unification of African American Women
SPBC – Activity/Service
Student Activities Board – Governing
Student Government Association – Governing
Students for the Propagation of Black Culture
Student Support Staff
UCA College Republicans
UCA Ebony Models
UCA Environmental Alliance
UCA Corp of Cadets
UCA Wellness Club
Umoja Wa Afrika
Up ’til Dawn

        [1.16.9] Religious Organizations

Several religious organizations are active on the UCA campus:

Association of Baptist Students
Association of Muslim Students
Baptist Collegiate Ministry
Campus Crusade for Christ
Catholic Campus Ministry
Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship
Judah Chorale Collegiate Choir (Cogic Club)
Church of Christ Student Union
Missionary Baptist Student Fellowship (MBSF)
Student Mobilization
Word of Wisdom Outreach (WOW)

[2] Housing

The university’s residence halls and apartments provide students a convenient and comfortable place to live and study.

[2.1] Freshman Residency Requirement

Freshmen are required to live on campus their first academic year, unless space is not available. Freshmen may petition the housing office to live off campus if they meet one of the following criteria: (1) twenty-one years of age; (2) married; (3) currently enrolled in less than 12 semester hours of credit; (4) completed 21 hours of credit; (5) living with parents or legal guardian and commuting to campus; (6) living with grandparent, married brother, sister, aunt, or uncle, and commuting to campus; (7) have lived in a residence hall at another campus for two or more semesters. Freshmen may petition the Housing Exemption Committee to be released from the residency requirement. International freshmen are required to reside on campus their first calendar year at UCA; approval to move off campus must be granted by the Director of International Programs prior to any such action.

[2.2] Housing Reservations

See information linked from the UCA Housing and Residence Life page.

[2.3] Residence Life Regulations

A student living in a residence hall/apartment agrees to comply with the existing rules and regulations governing student conduct. These rules and regulations may be changed at the discretion of university officials. All students living in a residence hall/apartment will be required to sign a Housing lease and will be responsible for abiding by the terms of that lease.

Specific rules and regulations about university housing and areas of student conduct are provided in the Student Handbook. Copies of the handbook are available at the office of the Dean of Students, 108 Bernard Hall.

[3] University Testing Services

University Testing Services provides registration materials for and coordinates administration of national standardized exams including ACT, CLEP, CPT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, MFAT, and Praxis I and II. Testing Services does not provide preparation materials for exams. For more information see the Testing Services page.

[4] Alumni Association

All former students of the university are invited to join the Alumni Association. The Board of Directors of the Alumni Association plans the yearly schedule of events to which all former students and their guests are invited. Graduating seniors are introduced to the Alumni Association as a part of the commencement ceremony.

The Alumni Contact, a quarterly publication, is mailed to all alumni. This magazine provides information on activities of the university, the faculty and alumni. The association strives to establish and continue friendships and contacts, both social and professional, among its members and between alumni and the university.