a. The Professional Educational Council (PEC) provides leadership for all professional education programs. It initiates, receives, and develops recommendations on all policies, proceedings, and standards affecting professional education.
b. To ensure that all professional education programs are organized, unified, and coordinated to allow fulfillment of the mission of the professional education unit.
c. To ensure that the professional education curricula are built upon knowledge bases essential for effective practice and upon the findings of research.
2. Membership: The PEC consists of fourteen voting members serving three-year staggered terms (except student and school-based educator representatives will serve two-year terms) and a chair. Appointments must be completed by the Faculty Senate by August 1st. In addition, deans and chairs representing each Professional Education Unit (PEU) program are ex officio, non-voting members of the PEC as well as one public school superintendent who will serve as an ex officio, non-voting member.
a. Three members (one from each department) from the College of Education: Early Childhood and Special Education; Leadership Studies; and Teaching, Learning, and Technology. Chairs in consultation with the Dean of the College of Education will fill these positions.
b. Two permanent members representing Service Units in the College of Education appointed by the Dean of the College of Education.
c. Four members who are active participants in the PEU representing each of the colleges outside of the College of Education who have professional education programs. These members (faculty or chairs) will be appointed by the Faculty Senate from at least two nominations by the deans of the colleges listed below.
(1) One member from the College of Fine Arts and Communication (Departments with professional education programs include Art and Music)
(2) One member from the College of Health and Behavioral Sciences (Departments with professional education programs include Family and Consumer Science, Kinesiology and Physical Education, and School Psychology)
(3) One member from the College of Liberal Arts (Departments with professional education programs include English, Social Studies, and World Languages)
(4) One member from the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (Departments with professional education programs include Biology, Physics, and Mathematics)
d. Two student members (serving two-year terms) appointed by the College of Education Administrative Council--one undergraduate student and one graduate student.
e. Three practicing professionals (serving two-year terms) will be appointed by the College of Education Administrative Council.
To fill a vacancy in any of the College of Education positions, student appointments, or school-based educators, the College of Education Administrative Council will make the appointment.
To fill a vacancy in the positions outside of the College of Education, the Faculty Senate will select one faculty member from a list of two nominees named by the dean of the college.
3. Chairperson: The Dean of the College of Education or his/her designee will serve as chair. The chair will vote in two circumstances: 1) to break a tie vote, or 2) when required to establish a quorum of voting members.
4. Meetings: Professional Education Council meetings will be held once a month during fall and spring semesters. Meetings may be called in the summer if business requires. A majority of voting members constitutes a quorum. The council will conduct business if voting members send an email vote to the PEC chairperson.
|Diana Pounder||Permanent||Chairperson: Dean of the College of Education|
|Linda Griffith||2016||NSM Representative|
|Donna Wake||2016||ED Representative|
|Shelby Albritton||2015||Leadership Studies Representative|
|Mitch Parker||2016||Health & Behavioral Sciences Representative|
|VACANT||Fine Arts & Communication Representative|
|Horst Lange||2015||Liberal Arts Representative|
|Charles Watson||2016||Natural Sciences & Mathematics Representative|
|Debbie Barnes||Permanent||Assistant Dean|
|Ken Vaughn||Permanent||Candidate Services & Field Experience|
|VACANT||Public School Elementary|
|VACANT||Public School Middle|
|VACANT||Public School Secondary|
|Kathleen Atkins||Chair, Early Childhood & Special Education|
|Terry James||Chair, Leadership Studies|
|Tammy Benson||Chair, Teaching and Learning|
|Lisa Daniels||NCATE Coordinator|
|Kurt Boniecki||Associate Provost for Instructional Support|
|Stephanie Bellar||Dean, Graduate Programs|
|Terry Wright||Dean, College of Fine Arts & Communications|
|Johnny Ishee||Dean, College of Health & Applied Sciences|
|Maurice Lee||Dean, College of Liberal Arts|
|Steve Addison||Dean, College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics|
|Greg Murry||School Superintendent, Conway Public Schools|
Reports to the Provost
Please send minutes to: Chair of the Committee on Committees
Last Updated: 9/10/2014