from the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, 7th edition
What Is MLA?
- MLA stands for the Modern Language Association.
- MLA style, then, is how this group thinks a paper should be prepared.
- Many disciplines in the humanities use this style to present written information.
Why Should You Use MLA?
- MLA allows you to use other people’s ideas to support your own.
- You have to make sure you document the source you are paraphrasing or quoting, so that readers can distinguish between your ideas and someone else’s ideas.
- In other words, MLA protects you against plagiarism!