Undergraduate Bulletin Course Description
An introduction to the strategies needed in college-level reading. Entering students with an ACT score below 19 in Reading are required to register for this course during their first enrollment period and during each subsequent enrollment period until they earn a course grade of C or higher. The grade in this course will not be used to compute semester and cumulative grade point averages. The course does not count toward any degree. Offered in Summer.
Students will demonstrate that:
- They have been introduced to reading strategies that will help them become capable and competent readers, able to discover meaning in a variety of college-level texts and demonstrate their understanding and comprehension through assessments including summary and paraphrase;
- They have been introduced to strategies and techniques designed to build vocabularies necessary to understand college-level texts;
- They can distinguish between main ideas and supporting details in college-level texts;
- They can distinguish between facts and opinions as well as recognize the importance of attitude and tone in college-level texts;
- They can actively and fluently read text, critically and confidently responding to that text in both in-class discussions and in resulting writing assignments;
- They can fulfill class attendance and participation requirements as well as turn in class assignments on or before the deadline.
To pass Transitional Reading, students must consecutively complete each of these objectives:
- Achieve a passing grade of 70% or better for the class, which includes meeting attendance and coursework requirements;
- Achieve the ACT equivalent of a 19 or higher on the writing portion of the COMPASS test.
It is the policy of the University of Central Arkansas that any student who is required to complete transitional course work in reading, writing or mathematics must complete the courses required for remediation within three attempts per area at UCA with a grade of C or higher. Unsuccessful attempts are those that result in a grade of D, F, W, WP, or WF. Failure to complete the required course(s) within three attempts per area will result in suspension from UCA.
Students are required to pass this course with a grade of "C" or higher.
To learn more about this or any University College course, please contact:
Main Hall, Room 10