Health and Safety

Traveling abroad? Register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)!

All participants should enroll in (STEP). The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency. STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

UCA Travel Policy

UCA students may not use UCA Study abroad scholarships or other university financial aid to travel or study in locations rated at LEVEL 4 DO NOT TRAVEL on the U.S. Department of State’s Travel Advisory website.  Students traveling in areas or countries with Level 1 and Level 2 ratings should consult the website at and heed all warnings while avoiding all Level 4 areas or locations that may exist in some countries.  All travel to locations or countries with a LEVEL 3 RECONSIDER TRAVEL advisory must be pre-approved by the Office of International Engagement Associate Vice-President, Legal Counsel, the Provost and Executive Vice President, and the President of the University of Central Arkansas.

For more information, please contact staff at the International Engagement Office or the Office of Study Abroad.

Official U.S. Resources for Travel Abroad

U.S. State Department — Students Abroad

Locate a U.S. embassy anywhere in the world, report a lost or stolen passport, travel warnings and advisories, emergencies aboard, traveling tips, how to register with the local consulate, etc.

To find helpful information such as: Embassy Services, passports, safety tips, travel alerts and warnings and more visit the website of the State Dept.’s Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Center for Disease Control (CDC)

Info on diseases, water, and food conditions in specific regions. Also tips for avoiding traveler’s sickness.

Information for Travelers who are Women

Safety Tips for Women Travelers
Contact Overseas Citizens Services:
1-888-407-4747 (toll free in the United States and Canada)
1-202-501-4444 (outside the United States and Canada)

Information for travelers who identify as LGBTI

iNext Insurance Contact Information

Study Abroad Incident Report To be complete by faculty, staff, or students with any minor or major incidents abroad.