UCA STUDENT RECRUITS FIRST BRITISH EXCHANGE STUDENT

British exchange student Callum Dootson (left) with UCA junior Caleb Patton (right) at Edge Hill University in Ormskirk, England

Callum Dootson, a music major at Edge Hill University in Ormskirk, England, showed little interest in studying abroad. It wasn’t until he met UCA junior Caleb Patton that he decided to spend a year studying in the United States.

Patton, a junior creative writing major at UCA, spent last spring as a semester exchange student at Edge Hill University. He became close to Dootson after being cast together to perform in the musical Rent with Edge Hill’s theatre student organization, the Music Theatre Society.

“We were inseparable as castmates and as friends from the moment auditions were held to closing night,” Patton said. “There were people who would get us confused for brothers at first glance, but realized I wasn’t British once I started talking to them.”

Dootson is the first student from Edge Hill to study abroad at UCA. He also happens to be the first student from Edge Hill to study abroad in North America.

“Being the first student to go on exchange in North America feels like a big responsibility, and I want to experience as much as I can so I can have my own stories to bring back to students at Edge Hill,” Dootson said. “I think people should at least consider studying abroad in North America.”

Dootson says he is already recruiting students to study abroad at UCA.

“I know I’m going to be doing some blogs and presentations when I get back, but in the meantime, I’m doing monthly Facebook Live videos and trying to convince people while I’m here to try and talk to the International Office at Edge Hill.”

Currently, the UCA Office of Study Abroad offers semester exchange in 14 countries. UCA students pay UCA tuition and spend the semester at one of 17 partner universities. For more information on semester exchange opportunities, visit: https://uca.edu/studyabroad/semester-exchange-2018/