FORMER DEAN, PROFESSOR TEACHES LAST UCA COURSE ABROAD

UCA students, professors and chair tour Stonehenge in Wiltshire, England during the summer 2017 UCA in the UK: the Beatles and Pop Culture program.

Dr. Rick Scott, former Honors professor and dean, retired after leading his last UCA Study Abroad program in summer 2017. Twelve students participated in his trip, UCA in the UK: the Beatles and Pop Culture, which he co-taught with Chad Terrell, a visiting instructor with the UCA Honors College.

Over the course of his 34-year tenure at UCA, Scott has held many teaching and administrative positions. He began teaching at UCA in 1983 as an assistant professor in the department of sociology. In 1986, he became the assistant director of the UCA Honors College. He’s served as associate director, interim director, and director before being named dean in 2009.

A highlight of the trip for Scott was the tour of notable Beatles-related sites in Liverpool. “The entire tour was moving almost beyond words,” Scott said. “It wasn’t simply LIKE a pilgrimage; it WAS a pilgrimage. I teared up more times than I can count.”

“I got to play Let It Be on the piano while one of our students, Alex, sang it beautifully. I will never forget that experience – a true, singular highlight in my life, and completely unexpected…and a little nerve-wracking.”

UCA board Chair Elizabeth Farris, and her husband, John William Sorrels, also traveled with the group. “I am now a fan [of Study Abroad] and want to help get more students in the study abroad program,” Farris said. “I remember how intimidated some of them seemed at the airport. You would never know it now.”

The group traveled to London, Liverpool, the Roman sites at Bath and Wales before returning to Manchester. Senior Kayla Wilson said her favorite excursion was the Stonehenge tour. “There’s just so much history in one place. We got to go right up to the stones. They were a lot taller than I expected,” she said. “I also didn’t realize that Stonehenge has two different types of rock. One type is native to the area, but it’s still a mystery how the other rock ended up in the area.”

UCA students have many opportunities to study abroad through faculty-led, language immersion, and semester exchange programs. “These kids will remember this for the rest of their lives,” Farris said.

On faculty-led programs, such as Scott’s, students can earn 3 to 6 UCA credits.

Currently, there are eight faculty-led programs offered to students during the Summer 2018 session, including countries such as the Bahamas, England and Mexico.