Steps for Applying to the RN to BSN/MSN Program
The UCA Department of Nursing receives applications for admission and most applicant credentials exclusively through the Nursing Central Application Service (NursingCAS), provided by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). Applicants must submit a separate supplemental application and fee directly to the UCA Office of Admissions.
The application steps are as follows:
- Select the “Apply” link at www.nursingcas.org.
- Create an account and login to your secure NursingCAS online application. When creating your account, be sure to click “Yes” to the question, “Are you applying to a graduate level program in nursing?
- When logged in, complete all “Required” items on the Application Checklist as directed by NursingCAS. This includes arranging for all official transcripts to be sent to NursingCAS. High School transcripts are not required to be submitted.
- In addition, the UCA Department of Nursing requires the following items also be submitted through NursingCAS (these items are indicated as “Optional” in NursingCAS):
- In the Professional Experience Section, submit information regarding your work experience, professional activities, certifications, Honors/Awards, etc.
- In the References Section, submit two (2) letters of reference. You will submit your references' contact information in the NursingCAS "Reference Section" and your references will receive an email from NursingCAS which contains directions on how to complete the online reference.
- One letter of recommendation should be from your immediate supervisor
- The second letter of recommendation should be from a professional colleague
- New RN graduates may submit references from two clinical course faculty members but additional work references will be required prior to enrolling in clinical courses.
- In the Personal Statement Section, complete an essay that responds to the following questions: Identify the MSN track you wish to apply for: FNP, AGNP, NECS or CNL. Discuss how your selected MSN track fits with your career goals. Provide an example of how your attributes and values will make you effective in your selected MSN track. Discuss your future employment goals in your chosen MSN track. Include the geographic area and population with which you want to work. Finally, describe how you are going to manage your current obligations (home, family, work) while taking courses (theory and clinical) for the BSN and MSN degrees.
- You will need to upload verification of your RN license from the State Board of Nursing website.
- You will also need to upload Verification of Clinical Practice.
- Be sure to designate the University of Central Arkansas in the Designations Section of the application and to link your essay. NursingCAS charges $65 for your application to be sent to the first program designation and $35 for each additional designation.
- In addition to the NursingCAS application, UCA requires an online supplemental application and fee ($25). http://uca.edu/admissions/
- Be sure to add NursingCas.org to your safe email sender because we will communicate with you via email through NursingCAS.
- Check your NursingCAS account to ensure all the submitted documents have been received by NursingCAS.
Enrollment Requirements: Once accepted, candidates must complete the following before enrolling:
- A background check, as directed by the Department of Nursing, with favorable results.
- Required immunizations *
- Physical Exam *
- Health insurance coverage
- CPR certification
- Program orientation on UCA campus - August 1, 2014. Additional information will be provided
* Forms will be provided after admission
If any of these requirements are not satisfied, admission to the program may be rescinded.
Questions about your application and/or requirements should be directed to:
Rose Schlosser, Department of Nursing, University of Central Arkansas
201 Donaghey Avenue, Conway, AR 72035