Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in nonprofit organizations and the causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the mission of the University of Central Arkansas Foundation, of the way the Foundation intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the Foundation’s most recent audited financial statements.
- To be assured that their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing the University of Central Arkansas and the University of Central Arkansas Foundation will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations to the Foundation are volunteers, employees of the Foundation or University, or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists, and to have the assurance that the donor list of the University of Central Arkansas Foundation is not shared or sold to any person or organization for any purpose.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
The text of this statement in its entirety was developed by the American Association of Fund Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP).