Read&Write for Google Chrome
UCA has just added a new extension within Google Chrome. Read&Write for Chrome tools can be used in Google Docs, Google Slides, PDFs, ePubs, and on the web. This technology will read text aloud and convert selected text into audio files such as MP3.
Scroll down to see how to install the Snapverter app. Snapverter is a tool that converts photos of documents into accessible PDF documents, which can then be shared, translated, highlighted, etc.
Installing the Read&Write Chrome extension
In order to use Read&Write with UCA accounts, you will need to install the Read&Write extension for Google Chrome. This is a two-step process: first, log in to Google Chrome, and second, install the extension.
Logging in to Google Chrome
The Read&Write extension must be used with the Google Chrome browser. You must also have your UCA email account user connected to, or logged into, Google Chrome.
- Open Google Chrome on your computer.
- Click the User icon located at the top of the window just left of the windows control buttons.
- Click the blue button Sign in to Chrome.
- Enter your UCA email, and then click Next.
- If required, enter your UCA email address and click the Next button. This is for logging in to Google services; if you are already logged in to your UCA Gmail account, you may not get this window.
- Enter your UCA username and password, and then click Log In.
- In the window that appears, click Create a new profile.
- Click OK, Got it.
- You are now signed in to Google Chrome. To make sure you are logged in to Chrome, click your name in the top-right corner of the Chrome window. You should see your name and UCA email listed.
Installing Read&Write for Google Chrome
Before installing Read&Write, you must ensure that you are logged in to the Chrome browser using your UCA email account. This extension will only work for users with email addresses that end with @uca.edu or @cub.uca.edu. For help with this process, follow the steps above.
- Open Google Chrome and click the Customize and control button (). Roll the mouse cursor over More tools, and then click Extensions.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Extensions page, and then click Get more extensions. This will open the Chrome Web Store.
- Enter Read&Write for Google in the search field, and then press Enter on the keyboard.
- This search will return the results for Read&Write for Google Chrome and Screenshot reader. You will need to install these two extensions.
- Next to Read&Write for Google Chrome, click the blue Add to Chrome button. Click Add extension at the prompt. Once the extension has been added, a message will appear stating that the extension has been added successfully. This message will close automatically when you click anywhere within Chrome.
- Next to Screenshot reader, click the blue Add to Chrome button. Click Add extension at the prompt. Once the extension has been added, a message will appear stating that the extension has been added successfully. This message will close automatically when you click anywhere within Chrome.
- Go back to the Extensions page (this should still be open in another tab in Chrome). You should see the two new extensions listed now.
- Close Google Chrome, and then wait a few seconds. Then, open Google Chrome again.
- Now that the extensions are installed, you must allow them to interact with UCA’s Google G Suite applications. Start by clicking on the Read&Write extension icon () at the top of the browser window.
- If this is the first time you have used Read&Write with your UCA account, you will be prompted to allow the extension to access your account. Click the Allow button.
- If required, click the Read&Write icon () at the top of the browser window again.
- This will open the Read&Write toolbar.
Read&Write for Google Chrome can also be used to access items in our Google Drive. When you first access a Google Drive file, Google Doc, Google Slide, or a saved PDF document, you will need to allow Read&Write to access those items as well.
Snapverter app for Google Chrome
Snapverter is a tool that converts photos of documents into accessible PDF documents, which can then be shared, translated, highlighted, etc. This tool is licensed for UCA accounts; in order to use Snapverter, you will need to both install the Google Drive app on your mobile device and install the Snapverter app on your Google Chrome account.
Before installing Snapverter, you must ensure that you are logged in to the Chrome browser using your UCA email account. Because this tool is licensed for UCA users, it will only work for users with email addresses that end with @uca.edu or @cub.uca.edu (for help with this process, follow the steps above).
- Go to the Snapverter page in the Chrome Web Store. Click Add to Chrome.
- The Apps screen with appear with the Snapverter app added. Click the Snapverter icon.
- If prompted, choose your UCA account. When prompted to give permissions, click Allow. This will create the necessary set of folders in your Google Drive for Snapverter to work correctly.
- If you have not already done so, install the Google Drive app on your mobile device. Once installed, open the Google Drive app and log in with your UCA account.
- Navigate to the Snapverter folder (this was created by Snapverter when you installed the app), and then go to the subfolder called Drop files here to convert.
- Select the Scan or + button to take a photo of a page, or the Upload button to upload an image.
- The file will then be converted into a readable PDF (this may take up to 5 minutes) in the Finished subfolder.
- For Snapverter settings and tool progress, go the Snapverter app from the Apps screen (chrome://apps/).
- For in-depth instructions on how to use the Snapverter tool, refer to the Snapverter how-to article.