Housing/Dining Accommodations

Students with disabilities may need housing and/or dining accommodations due to the impact of their disability. DRC collaborates with Housing and Residence Life to meet the on campus housing needs of students with disabilities. Examples of housing accommodations may include but are not limited to:

  • ADA compliant rooms
  • Single occupancy rooms
  • Private/semi-private restroom
  • Meal plan exemptions/modifications
  • Assistance animals (Service Animal/Emotional Support Animal)

Housing/Dining accommodations must be reasonable, relate to the impact of the disability, and address their functional limitations. Disability Resource Center (DRC), Housing and Residence Life, and UCA Dining Services, work closely together to ensure accommodation needs are met for students with disabilities living on campus. In order to begin the process of requesting a housing/dining accommodation, the following procedures have been established:

Housing/Dining Accommodation Procedures:

To begin a request for housing and/or dining accommodations, students should do the following:

  1. Submit a new student registration online with the DRC office. When filling out the online registration please be detailed in your request by completing the additional note or comment section at the bottom of the application.  Please detail disability-related limitations and accommodations needed.
  2. Obtain documentation from a qualified health or other provider in support of your requested accommodation. Documentation should include the diagnosed disability, functional limitations, along with recommended accommodations. Note: If the request is for an Emotional Support Animal, see further details below.
  3. Submit both the online application and documentation to DRC. You can upload documentation to your registration application online. If you do not have documentation at the time of online application you can email, fax, mail, or drop off in person the documentation to DRC using the following contact information:

Submit Information to:

Disability Resource Center
University of Central Arkansas
201 Donaghey Ave.
Student Health Building, Ste. 212
Conway, AR 72035

Phone: (501) 450-3613
Fax: (501) 450-5664
Email: drc@uca.edu

Hours: Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Dining Accommodation Requests

UCA will make every attempt to meet a students disability related dietary needs. The accommodation process will include a referral to our campus dietitian, who will assist in determining if UCA dining services can accommodate the student. The dietitian will share their recommendation with the student and DRC. Upon review of the recommendation DRC will approve or deny the accommodation request.

If the dietitian recommends meal plan exemption and DRC has received documentation supporting the request, DRC will forward the approval to the appropriate housing staff for processing.

UCA Dining Dietitian Contact Information:

Lauren Allinson, RD, LD

Email: allinson-lauren@aramark.com

Phone: (501) 733-6854

Emotional Support Animal (ESA)

UCA Disability Resource Center provides reasonable accommodations for students with a disability. Under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), an emotional support animal (ESA) may be approved while living in on-campus housing, on a case-by-case basis when there is a documented need.

The following form was created to facilitate the individualized review of each student request so that the Disability Resource Center may determine if a student qualifies to have an emotional support animal while living in a University of Central Arkansas residence hall. Once the form is filled out by the qualified professional and submitted to DRC, the ESA Committee will meet to determine if all qualifications are met.

UCA Emotional Support Animal Packet

This information submitted to the Disability Resource Center should reflect the most currently available information. This Emotional Support Animal Documentation Form should:

  • Be completed by a qualified professional.
  • Be completed as clearly and thoroughly as possible. Incomplete responses and illegible handwriting will require additional follow up that may delay the review process.
  • Be supplemented with any evaluative reports that may provide a more complete understanding of the student. Evaluative reports may include diagnostic reports such as psycho-educational or neuropsychological reports. Please do not provide case notes or rating scales without a narrative that explains the results.
  • Be submitted to the Disability Resource Center. All documentation will be held strictly confidential as a student record. This form may be released at the student’s request.

ESA Evaluating Request and Determination Notice:

The Director of Disability Resource Center, Dean of Students, Assistant Vice President for Student Engagement, Leadership, and Service, Director of Housing and Residence Life, and a Representative from the Counseling Center comprise the “ESA Committee” and will consider these requests based on the following criteria provided by the FHA:

  1. The student has a disability
  2. The animal is necessary in affording the student the opportunity to use and enjoy their living space.
  3. There is an identifiable relationship or nexus between the disability and the assistance the animal provides.

The DRC and the above mentioned Committee will make a determination within 60 calendar days of receipt of an ESA request on whether an accommodation will be granted.

Next Steps After Approval of ESA:

The following information will be needed after the therapy/emotional support animal is approved and at least 7 days before the animal moves into on-campus housing:

  1.  UCA Housing and Residence Life Animal Ownership Agreement Form
  2. Animal Registration/Rabies Tag
  3. Vaccination certificate/Shot Record
  4. Current color picture of Animal
  5. Service and Emotional Support Animal Roommate Agreement Form (to be completed by each roommate).

The UCA Housing and Residence Life Animal Ownership Agreement Form must be reviewed, completed, and signed. You must also provide the documentation listed above before the animal is allowed to move into on-campus housing. The Agreement Form includes important information on Standards for approved animals, animal care & guidelines, cleaning and damage, animal liability, areas off limits to animals, removal of animal, conflicting disabilities/roommate, and the complaint process.

The Service and Emotional Support Animal Roommate Agreement Form must be completed and submitted by each roommate prior to the animal occupying the assigned space. Housing and Residence Life will send the form to each roommate once you have been approved by the ESA Committee.

Service and Emotional Support Animal Grievance Form

Please fill out the Service and Emotional Support Animal Grievance Form to report a grievance regarding a Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal.