College of Liberal Arts News

Carlin presented with Arkansas Foreign Language Teacher of the Year Award

Patricia Carlin was presented with the AFLTA Arkansas Foreign Language Teacher of the Year award on April 20.

Here is an excerpt from a nominating letter:

Carlin has been a full-time lecturer in Spanish at UCA since August 1994. She consistently has ranked at or near the top on her annual student evaluations. Her course syllabi demonstrate the expertise and effectiveness she possesses as a teacher. Many students say that she is the best Spanish teacher they have ever had. I am constantly impressed by her dedication and hard work. As a long time author of a high school Spanish textbook series she is well respected in the profession. She is a past-President of AFLTA and currently serves as the SCOLT representative on the ACTFL Board of Directors. Her national service and consistently outstanding teaching in both Spanish and in UCA’s teacher education program make her uniquely qualified for this award. No one I know at UCA, and I dare say the state, can equal her record over the past 20 years as a foreign language professional. I urge the committee to give her every consideration.