Conway's Creative Approach to Battling Obesity Through
Active Infrastructure Projects and Programs
April 5, 2012
Brewer-Hegeman Conference Center
University of Central Arkansas
201 Donaghey Avenue
Conway, AR 72035
This event is of NO COST to you!
Come learn about Conway’s creative approach to battling obesity through active infrastructure projects and programs. This lecture will provide information on current projects that are underway to stimulate physical activity through the development and implementation of active infrastructure. Discussion will include approach to developing active infrastructure plans, how to promote utilization of active infrastructure for Conway residents, and utilization of active infrastructure as a key component of health and fitness education programs for Conway residents.
• Impact of active infrastructure on healthy lifestyle characteristics
• Tools for developing active infrastructure projects the promote physical activity
• Promoting utilization of active infrastructure through health communication
• Changing health behavior using active infrastructure
Benefit of attending:
• Participants will learn about current infrastructure in Conway that supports/encourages physical activity
and active living.
• Participants will learn how to become involved in helping to develop Conway’s active infrastructure.
• Participants will learn how to utilize active infrastructure as a tool for implementing health education
and physical activity programs.
• Participants will learn about future plans to develop additional active infrastructure in the City of Conway.
How can this benefit educators?:
Educators can benefit from this lecture by learning how to use active infrastructure as an education tool to develop and incorporate cross-curricular activities and lessons. In addition, educators will learn how physical activity can be incorporated into other school subjects such as math and science.
FREE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT IS AVAILABLE!!
Dr. Duston Morris is an assistant faculty in the Department of Health Sciences. Dr. Morris is the owner and founder of 3 Sport Fitness, an endurance performance coaching service, and serves as the Senior Vice President and Clinic Director for Alive With Mission Me, a not-for-profit organization committed to combating childhood obesity and increasing physical activity through the development of youth multisport curricula and programs. Dr. Morris has been locally and nationally recognized for his work in youth & adult multisport, health prevention and promotion, and fitness/endurance training for adults. Dr. Morris received his master’s degree in recreation from the University of Missouri and Ph.D. in Health Sciences from the University of Arkansas. He also holds national certifications from The American Council on Exercise and the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification. Dr. Morris also serves on the City of Conway Bicycle Advisory Board which works with city officials and local businesses to develop active infrastructure to promote healthy lifestyles for Conway residents.
Duston Morris, Ph.D., CTRS, ACE-CPT
Department of Health Sciences
Doyne Health Science Center, 317
201 Donaghey Ave.
Conway, AR 72035
Office: (501) 450-5513