UCA Safety Agreement (Yarberry)
Read the Agreement below and then check the agree box at the bottom.
Laboratory Safety Agreement
As a student at the University of Central Arkansas, I understand the importance of and agree to follow the following safety guidelines while in the chemistry laboratory:
1. I will wear ANSI Z87-approved safety glasses or goggles at all times while in the lab except during pre-lab lecture or when my lab instructor informs me that it is safe to remove them.
2. I will know where safety equipment is located and how to use it, including the fume hoods, safety showers, eyewash stations, exits, fire blankets, and fire extinguishers.
3. I will read and understand the lab before I come to class. I will complete any assigned pre-lab exercises before I come to lab.
4. I will not work by myself in the lab.
5. I will not perform unauthorized experiments.
6. I will wear clothing that is conducive to lab work, making sure to wear shoes that cover my feet, to not wear loose sleeves, and to tie back any long hair.
7. I will follow all waste disposal procedures as outlined by my lab instructor. When in doubt about how to dispose of a particular chemical, I will ask my lab instructor.
8. I will wash my hands thoroughly before leaving the lab.
9. I will immediately report any injury, physical or chemical, to my lab instructor, no matter how minor it might seem at the time.
10. I will report any chemical spills to my instructor immediately.
11. I will avoid touching hot objects and will label hot objects as such to notify others.
12. I will make sure to read labels on reagent containers before I use them. Also, I will label all containers that I use while in the lab.
13. Generally, I will avoid inhaling fumes. I will use the fume hood when directed to do so. When I am directed to smell a gas, I will waft vapors toward me.
14. I will not eat or drink while in the lab.
15. I will not use tobacco products while in the lab.
16. I will inform my instructor prior to the first lab session if I have any particular allergy to a chemical or if I have a medical condition that might need to be considered while in the lab.
17. I will report any glassware that is cracked or chipped to my instructor.
18. I will not taste any chemical while in the laboratory.
19. I will strive to maintain a clean lab, cleaning up any spills of liquids or solids, returning equipment and chemicals, and keeping common work areas (such as the balances and hoods) clean.
20. I will ask questions when I have them so as not to perform an unsafe experiment.
21. I will make sure that gas jets are turned off when I am finished with them.
22. I will dispose of broken glass in broken glass containers.
23. I will not put solids in the sink.
24. I will keep the laboratory bench free of purses, backpacks, etc.